Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding the untimely death of Hammerhead1st.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the untimely death of Hammerhead1st.

Regarding the untimely death of Hammerhead1st.

Forum member Hammerhead1st died in the first hours of the morning this past Saturday, August 30 from a fatal accident at his home. My dear brother Greg Holbrook will be sorely missed. Here’s my telling of his story, from our first hellos in the forums at this site to the final words we exchanged 5 hours before his death.

In May of this year I posted a need for help in Atlanta. I am not a mechanic, nor am I mechanically inclined, and I suddenly needed a new mechanic in the Lawrenceville, Georgia area. Greg posted that he was moving to Lawrenceville to attend the Aviation Institute of Maintenance. All of a sudden, I had a skilled mechanic for a riding partner.

When Greg arrived in Atlanta, we discovered that we were new “old” friends. Amazing how that works with fellow Xsives. Greg and I took some good rides together around Lake Lanier, north of Atlanta. We had righteous conversation. We were road trip brothers, even riding to NY and back in a weekend (in a cage, bummer) to bring one of his sons back to GA for high school. We hung out at my house almost every weekend. We chatted about TWO Suches and the ride the end of this month in Georgia. His 15 year old son, Justin, is also a great rider.

Greg moved to Lawrenceville on the Ratrod from Perry, New York, were his 5 sons live with their moms. It was him and his rod, and a heart to make something for himself and his family. True grit. It took him a while to find employment here, but was recently able to land a job working for a tree service for decent coin. A soured long distance relationship clouded his vision occasionally (like that’s never happened to anyone else), but his life was moving positively forward. He was well into his class work at AIM and was consistently on the honor roll.

The evening of Friday, August 29, Greg stopped by my work and we chatted. He couldn’t stay long, because he had a tree job to do the next day. We talked about plans for Saturday. Justin would be available to help me with some yard projects. Maybe we’d fire up the grill later. I remember Greg was looking forward to spending time with his son.

In the very early hours of Saturday Greg passed from this world in a tragic accident at his home. My heart breaks for his untimely death – I’ve lost a valuable friend and brother. But more importantly, his sons have lost their father. Those of you brothers out there, keep the Holbrook family in your prayers.
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

"Sorry to hear..."

Oh man... that's just too bad.
    Sounds like he was a great guy to know.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Oh my... so sorry for this loss...

I was fortunate enough to have chatted with him several times and he always came across as just a really nice guy...

Our sincerest condolences to his friends and family...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

My condolences to you and to his family.
        Having just gone through the tragic and sudden death of someone close to us this last week, I sadly understand your loss.
        We will keep his children in our prayers.
        80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
        79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and you. If you ever want to talk just look me up

Comment

Such a tragedy and loss.
            My condolences to his family, I'm sure they will miss dearly.

Paul
            Paul
            1983 XJ1100 Maxim
            1979 XS1100 Standard
            1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Yes, a tragic loss!

Mike,

Thankyou for allowing us to share in your grief. I remember when he came to XS11.com with his RatRod, his painting adventures, exhaust mods, etc.! I remember him speaking of his children, and of wanting to attend the Aviation Mech. school, moving to Ga.. It's always tragic when someone so young leaves this earth. He does leave a legacy in his children, hoping that they will remember the good times they had with him. I found his photobucket site, and have pulled a few photos to post here, not sure how long the account will be there?

Greg/Hammerhead1st shortly after he got his XS11:

Riding up in his driveway after his painting mods:

A few shots I'm assuming of when he was in Ga riding with Mike:

And one showing one of his younger sons sitting on his bike!

Again, our condolescences to you, his family and close friends.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. My family will have all in our prayers.
                Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
                Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
                Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

So Sad for his family

We send our condolences to his family.

Lynda and Greg
                  Gone but never Forgotten:
                  1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                  2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                  2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

So Very Sorry

Condolences to his family and friends. Just a reminder of how quickly our Final Call can come. May God bless him.
                    1979XS1100SF
                    K&N's and drilled airbox
                    Jardine 4in1
                    Dunlop Elite 3's
                    JBM slide diaphragms
                    142.5 main jets
                    45 pilot jets
                    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                    750/850 FD mod.
                    XV 920 Needle Mod.
                    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

condolences

Mike,
                      Sympathy to you and all who miss Greg.

Thanks for notice, though it is Sad news.
                      It is a great big beautiful world out there
                      Brent in GA
                      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        Mike,

Thankyou for allowing us to share in your grief. I remember when he came to XS11.com with his RatRod, his painting adventures, exhaust mods, etc.! I remember him speaking of his children, and of wanting to attend the Aviation Mech. school, moving to Ga.. It's always tragic when someone so young leaves this earth.

Again, our condolescences to you, his family and close friends.
                        T.C.

When I see these sad stories, I try to remember some of the conversations and it can be difficult when there are so many members in here. I do remember the conversation about wanting to go to GA and mech school. Thanks TC for the reminder.

To Greg's family and friends....I am so sorry for your loss.

Don
                        Last edited by DJinNH; 11-16-2008, 10:16 AM. Reason: wanted to get Greg's name right...checked original msg
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
                        X