Robert E. (Bob) Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert E. (Bob) Jones

I just wanted to put a note on the site to thank everyone for the kind things you wrote about Bob. I am his wife. I miss him sitting at the dinner table while I prepared our dinner, telling me about the latest XS1100 he was working on. His passion for "the best motorcyle ever built" was evident to anyone who had the privilege to meet or talk to him. He was one of a kind; full of life. I hope he is never forgotten by all the XS1100 family.
    I hope to plan a ride this spring to Arkansas (his favorite place to ride) to have a small memorial. If you are interested, or have ideas; please contact me.

K. Jones
    Bob Jones' wife

karkj...both my wife and i wish you our deepest sympathy....we have attend over 6 funerals in the past 15 months.....i know i'm a fairly new member, but any loss to the family is a true loss.....we will not be able 2 attend the ride, but we hold you in our prayers and may God be with you...ross & crystal

p.s you could give every one that rides a t-shirt with his picture on it in memorial...just a thought
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Our deepest sympathies

John and I were fortunate enough to meet Bob at one of the TeXSive rallies... and have communicated with him several times in one form or another...
      His knowledge and passion for these bikes was amazing!
      It's truly a great loss for our XS family...
      Thank you for sharing him with us.

Many of us have been hoping for a Spring memorial ride... Let us know if you need help with anything.
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

I also am sorry for your loss. I got to meet him a couple times at two different rallies. It was like talking to an encyclopedia about these bikes! Not just his knowledge, but his passion for the bike was what stood out most.

I think many of us here have expressed a wish to go on a memorial ride, but there are still obligations and planning to do for many of us. When you decide you'd like to have this, the more time in advance notice you could give us, the bigger turnout you'll likely get. Arrangements with work, kids, money, etc, will have to be considered.

Thank you for posting, and I look forward to this ride.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hi Todd,
          see Memorial ride thread.
          I am hoping for date of May 17,18. (XSeast is may 24,25 weekend.)

Brent
          Originally posted by trbig
          I also am sorry for your loss. I got to meet him a couple times at two different rallies. It was like talking to an encyclopedia about these bikes! Not just his knowledge, but his passion for the bike was what stood out most.

I think many of us here have expressed a wish to go on a memorial ride, but there are still obligations and planning to do for many of us. When you decide you'd like to have this, the more time in advance notice you could give us, the bigger turnout you'll likely get. Arrangements with work, kids, money, etc, will have to be considered.

Thank you for posting, and I look forward to this ride.

Tod
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

I was just reading Walneck's Classic Cycle and saw the memorial add for Bob. I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a good guy that helped me out more than few times. I've looked at that book of his so many times. A little of him has rubbed off on me and i'm proud to say I have four of his favorite bike. All the best to you and your family. G.W.
            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

Our deepest sympathy

We met Bob at the Jacksonville TeXSive rally and then again for the Talimena rally, and man that guy had a passion for these bikes!

He regaled us with the story about his dream of the midnight XS and how he proposed it to Yamaha and how they flatly refused to consider it.

Later the next year, low and behold, Yamaha produced the first midnight. Although he never got credit from Yamaha, he will always have credit with the XS family.

He even rode the first prototype to the Talimena rally.

Godspeed, Bob, Tell Delzell and all of the other XSives that went before us we all said , "Hi."

Greg and Lynda
              Gone but never Forgotten:
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
              2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
              2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
              X