Robert E. "Bob" Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert E. "Bob" Jones

Robert E. "Bob" Jones, of Merriam Cycles, Merriam, Kansas passed away December 18th 2007. He was in the motorcycle business for over 40 years, but spent the majority of his career on the continuing research and development of the XS 11 Yamaha. His passion for this design was so great that he owned 8 custom restored XS 11s that were each unique expressions of his own designs. Bob knew what these bikes were capable of becoming and his attention to detail was second to none in the custom motorcycle industry. To me Bob was not only a friend, but a mentor. and he will be greatly missed. So long my friend.

Russ Ludvicek Shawnee, KS
    '81 Venturer U.S. Navy Air Commemorative
    '79 Special

Sorry to hear this. He made some amazing bikes.

Comment

Sad news indeed...

His website is still up & running and you can see his XS1100 masterpieces there in all their glory:

Merriam Cycle Website

Bob will be sadly missed - Try getting hold of a copy of his book "XS Eleven Heaven" for an insight into how this man really felt about our venerable transport...

Miti
      One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
      • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
      • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
      • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
      • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

I got very luck a couple days ago. My wife and I's anniversary is coming up and we have been teasing each other about gifts. Some how Bob came up in conversation and I told her how I a few days after hearing of his passing, I had tried calling to get XS eleven heaven before they were gone forever. I didn't ever get a return phone call. So, sitting there with my wife, she suggested that I try looking on Amazon. I did and there were two copies. I was just about to get the cheaper one and noticed that the other was titled as a 'collector.' I read some more and found that it was an autographed copy. I couldn't click buy fast enough I am looking forward to reading some of Bob's very personal feelings about the XS. I am just terribly sad that I will never get to meet the man himself.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

autographed copy

Nice score. I surprised DennyZ with a copy last Christmas... not autographed. It is a good book. Lots of insight into the thoughts of the man. Some nice photos too.

Enjoy.
          -Meri
          "Boldly Going Nowhere"

www.meriwetherphoto.net

Comment

R.I.P. Bob Jones

Sorry I'm late to this thread. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing.
            Three or four years ago after I got my abused '79 Special, I e-mailed Bob about repairing a couple of broken cooling fins on my bikes head. He replied with a surprisingly long and detailed personal email, in part plugging his book (which I didn't mind in the least.) His passion for the XS 11 was obvious. I regreat not getting an autographed book when I had the chance.

"I see Ariels and Angels in leather and chrome,
            Swooping down from Heaven to carry him home!"

Paraphrased from "Vincent '52" by what English recording artist?
            (This is the most hair-raising biker song I have ever heard.)

E.Liberty
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Bless you and your family Bob. I must appologize for being upset that you werent returning my emails. This has been a harsh winter in Utah, and I have just begun ordering parts to fix up my XJ11. I sent emails to Bob's web site a couple of weeks ago and just a few minutes ago found that he had passed. It sounds like Bob is a great guy and I know he has some amazing bikes. Thanks Bob for your inspiration and knowledge that has enriched the lives of so many. We will keep the flame for you Bob.
              Sincerely,
              Nathan Baker, Midvale, UT

Comment

Working...
              X