Muffler Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler Removal

I currently have the stock 2 into 1 on each side exhaust on my 1980 and I want to make it louder. I have read that it is possible to take the baffles out of the muffler. I attempted to slide the muffler off the pipes today and they would not pull out all the way. I haven't seen any forum about how to take these off. I'm not sure if I'm missing something but after about 6 inches of pulling back, it gets stuck even when hitting it with a rubber mallet.
    Thanks

the OEM exhaust on the XS11 is a one piece unit, the only part that will come off is one of the headers. their also a sealed unit so baffle will not come out

Comment

I think mine may have a different after-market muffler on it then and it is just so snug that it won't slip off easily, thanks for the response, I'll keep trying.

Comment

HI Patrick,,,if you want to do a great upgrade to make them growl more, get a set of Harley Mufflers and attach them. THe HD mufflers sound great, are have that rumble, growl of a Harley only better. Should be lots of them avail. on craigslist or any Harley store as a lot of owners yank them after buying. DO a search here on harley muffler in the search and there is a few detailed guides to do it. YOu also can drill into the mufflers but the sound is kind of raspy.....I have done a few xs1100's with the HD mufflers, off of any dyna HD or similiar engine size and they all sounded great.....good luck, keep us informed,,,,Mike in San Diego and PA.

Comment

Ok I'll go check it out, I just went back at the mufflers on the pipes I have now and got them off... Finally. The key was to use a heat gun and they were able to barely get by. I plan on upgrading to pod filters/velocity stack setup so I was going to reject the carbs but since I was going to change the jets might as well change the exhaust and not have to reject them later on again.

Comment

Hi again,,,,with the HD mufflers you woount need to rejet the carbs,,,,you will lose a little at the low rpm, thats about it, with the pod filters you will lose even more as it will run leaner. There is info on the search site for jetting with pod filters, but most find its hit or miss, depending on the type of filter switch to. Just suggesting, the bike will run the best with the factory airbox, and once the carbs are cleaned and synched you wont need to touch them again for a long time,,,,,good luck, Mike in S.Diego and PA.

Comment

Pat, altering the exhaust and intake in any way will seriously effect your fuel to air ratio. These bikes were delivered on the lean fringe because of early EPA regulations. It will run like crap unless you re-jet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33353430896...Bk9SR4KD5K3iYQ

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I was planning on rejecting anyways, going from 110 mains to 117.5s or 120s (gonna try both) and up to a 45 pilot possibly. I have been doing lots of research and have found the best way to run pods is to use the velocity stack rubber piece that comes into the airbox from the carb on the pods, that way the air becomes laminar and it shouldn't affect the CV carb too much.

Comment

Niche Cycle is my go-to for genuine Mikuni parts. Jets-R-Us does well by me too.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X