hard brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard brakes

So my 1980 SG has been sitting in a storage unit as I have had neuropathy issues in my legs and feet. I took the bike out a month ago and rode it to my Moms house. I went for a ride today and the brake lever is very hard to squeeze. I have stainless lines on it and use speed bleeders on the calipers, brakes work fine but the lever is hard to squeeze-why? what would cause this?
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Lever not catching on the right hand switch is it?

Comment

Do you have modern motorcycle experience? My XS11 and my XS650SK both have to same wooden feel. It isn’t linear motion. Just add pressure to stop. It works. If you don’t like it, you can fix it with a smaller bore master cylinder. Too small and you run out of travel without stopping.
      I’m just guessing that is what is happening, not knowing your experience with a vintage Yamaha.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

jetmechmarty-I have owned my Yamaha XS 1100 SG since 1985/ early 1996. I have ridden lots of bikes GPZ 900,Ninjas,GSXR 1100,GS 1150 E and also have a 99 Kawasaki ZRX 1100 which can stop using 3 fingers if I wanted to. Thinking maybe the pads are glazed.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Yes, you certainly should be able to ID faulty brakes on the XS. Have you ever tried scrubbing the rotors with garnet paper? I’ve had results doing that on occasion. New pads and clean rotors may do it. That is likely the direction I would go. FWIW, I’m no good at keeping records, but I try to replace my brake fluid every two years. I believe it keeps me from having to take anything apart.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            ... Have you ever tried scrubbing the rotors with garnet paper? I’ve had results doing that on occasion. ...
            I am interested to hear about that Jeff

Brian
            '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
            '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
            '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post

I am interested to hear about that Jeff

Brian
              You want to remove the old friction material from the rotors. 100 grit garnet paper should get it done. Aluminum oxide paper should be avoided. I understand aluminum oxide will embed in the rotor. Obviously, the job is pretty easy if the rotor is off and you’re using a sanding block.
              This process can fix pulsing brakes, particularly those pulsing in high speed hard applications.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Working...
              X