Midnight Special Pipes/Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midnight Special Pipes/Exhaust

I'd appreciate hearing about which processes you have used to successfully re-coat XS11 Midnight Special black chrome headers and mufflers. I picked up a 1980 to restore. The black chrome, or whatever Yamaha called it, on the headers and mufflers is marred and worn in many areas.

I've seen some comments about using "high temp" powder coating in order to get that gloss black finish, but I've never heard of that. I called an owner of a powder coat shop I know and he hasn't either. Maybe it's something available outside the States. In that case, I may be able to source it off shore. I've also read about ceramic coating, but I called the #1 shop in the US (Jet-Hot) that does this and they only have satin or flat black. I don't want to use high temp paint as that will have little durability so your expertise will be greatly appreciated mates! Thx
    78 XS1100E touring
    78 XS1100E stock
    80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
    83 XV920MK Midnight Special
    83 XJ750MK Midnight Special
    83 XZ550RK Vision (full fairing, blk/gold)
    83 RX50 Special
    97 FLHR

See post #8 in this thread, sounds like a good option perhaps.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46176
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Very helpful. Thanks Billy!
      78 XS1100E touring
      78 XS1100E stock
      80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
      83 XV920MK Midnight Special
      83 XJ750MK Midnight Special
      83 XZ550RK Vision (full fairing, blk/gold)
      83 RX50 Special
      97 FLHR

Comment

Working...
      X