Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiders

So I tightened my cam chain a touch today and it was perfect at first, then I went to a buddy's house and it still sounded perfect. When I left my bike sounded like there was spiders tap dancing in the top end. Oil is full and new and the chatter stops at 3000rpm, any ideas what's going on?
    79 XS11 F

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
    So I tightened my cam chain a touch today and it was perfect at first, then I went to a buddy's house and it still sounded perfect. When I left my bike sounded like there was spiders tap dancing in the top end. Oil is full and new and the chatter stops at 3000rpm, any ideas what's going on?
    I'll chime in with my stupid q, did you follow the procedure as outlined in the repair manual? You have to manually rotate the crank in a specific direction until you line up a mark on the timing plate.
    Also, you might try posting this topic in the XS11/XJ11 Discussion, I think this particular one is for how to accomplish forum tasks.
    Regards
    Last edited by Dudenatz; 10-10-2015, 09:00 PM. Reason: To correct sub-forum name.

-Jon-
    1981 XS1100LH MNS #103 ("Dark Side")
    Yamaha "Mini Cruiser" Windscreen, K & N filters, Iridium Plugs, ATK Fork Brace, LED T.S. Conversion, Bridgestone S11 Spitfires.
    Otherwise all original, definitely a Survivor.
    Previous:
    1981 XS850LH MNS (R.I.P. 1983), 1982 XJ650 SECA TURBO, 1983 XJ650 SECA TURBO
    Cage:
    2K2 TB

"Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak."

Comment

Originally posted by Dudenatz View Post
      ... Also, you might try posting this topic in the XS11/XJ11 Discussion ...
      Yes, absolutely ...

Rangerguy,

Re-post your original question (and any/all other "technical" questions) in the "XS11/XJ11 Discussion" forum.

It will be seen by more people there, and responses will come much more quickly.

Or ... perhaps TC will see this and move this thread over to the "XS11/XJ11 Discussion" thread.
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

The problem with the stock tensioner is that it relies on friction from a bolt to hold the plunger in place. If you've got a motor that's running strong a lot of the time a good twist on the throttle can push the plunger back, and there it stays due to that bolt. Part of the reason why I much prefer a ratcheting ACCT.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
        X