Rear Suspension Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Suspension Settings

I have a 1979 XS Eleven Special and was wondering how to set the rear shocks short of trail and error for mostly single riding. I see the rotating wheel with indicators from 1 to 4, but what are the other 'stepped' settings on the body of the shock used for?
    Rick

1979 XS Eleven Special

Rick,

The shock settings depend a lot on your weight and style of riding. Higher weight and more aggressive riding = stiffer settings (generally).

First, I would recommend putting the bike on the centerstand before making the adjustments. It takes the load off the rear shocks.

The wheel at the top of the shock is the rebound damping adjuster ... #1 is the softest setting, #4 the stiffest. Make sure you hear an audible "click" at each setting.

The "stepped collar" at the bottom of the shock is the spring preload adjuster. It raises or lowers the spring seat, depending on which "step" it is set to.

It has 5 settings ... raising the spring seat = stiffer setting, lowering the spring seat = ... well, you get the idea.

You'll need the spanner wrench from the tool kit to adjust the preload ... if you don't have the wrench, you can use a pair of sturdy channel locks wrapped in a rag to do the job.

Hope that helps!

P.S. If you have any other technical questions about your bike, it would be best to post them in the "XS11/XJ11 Discussion" thread rather than here in the "Forum How To".

It will be seen by more people there, and you will likely get a much quicker response.
    Marco

Current bikes:
    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
    1979 Honda CBX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Working...
    X