How do you remove speedometer tops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove speedometer tops?

My xs850 special tac has lost both screws that hold the display down. Now it turns around and around! How can I get the top off so i can tighten those screws ?
    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

It's crimped metal edge that holds the gauge faces down. There are two ways of doing it: cut the gauge in-half and epoxy it back together (can't be seen when placed back in the gauge cluster, or you take some wire cutters, cut a snip in the edge, and use a flat blade screwdriver and pry the rim 360. No other alternatives. And yes, done this a few times on my 750's/850, and Suzzy GS bikes.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

A modified paint can opener works better than a screwdriver. Bend up one corner of the blade and sharpen it slightly to help it get under the metal ring of the gauge.

Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
        My xs850 special tac has lost both screws that hold the display down. Now it turns around and around! How can I get the top off so i can tighten those screws ?
        I use 3 little screwdrivers of different thickness, wear a thick protective glove on the hand your holding the speedo/tac with in case you slip, blood gets real messy. This will take some time but will make for the least damage, go slooow. Use a baking tray on the work bench with a towel over it and the gauge face down, slowly work your way under and then prying up around the rim of the coined bezel little by little. It will seem like your not getting anywhere but you will find when you have the bezel about half way bent up you can slide the gauge out, you don't have the uncoin the rim completely around the entire bezel only about 2/3 . Clean the glass, don't touch the face with oily fingers or sharp tools, lock tight the screws firmly but not to tight. While apart you can carefully open the bezel up a bit more carefully with small pliers to make it easier to put all back together. A very small tac driver/hammer, gauge flat on the towel and work your way around again lightly tapping the coined edge back down. All done !
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
          If you take a large hose clamp and put around the face ring to keep from damaging it you can use a thin flat nose pair of pliers and open it up. It takes a while and it can be frustrating but that's the best way I've found.

To put it back together clamp it depth wise in a vice and get the edge started so the seal will seal then a rag on the front and a pair of channel locks to roll the ring back over.

I had the same thing happen. A dab of locktite on those 2 screws insures it won't happen again.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            If you take a large hose clamp and put around the face ring to keep from damaging it you can use a thin flat nose pair of pliers and open it up. It takes a while and it can be frustrating but that's the best way I've found.

To put it back together clamp it depth wise in a vice and get the edge started so the seal will seal then a rag on the front and a pair of channel locks to roll the ring back over.

I had the same thing happen. A dab of locktite on those 2 screws insures it won't happen again.
            I like the idea of the hose clamp to protect the bezel, did not think of that ! I did try the pliers but found I could not get a grip on the coined edge, that's where prying it up a bit with small screw drivers would have given a little edge to grab onto with the pliers. I'm afraid of denting the front of the bezel with the channel locks ?
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
              I did try the pliers but found I could not get a grip on the coined edge,
              I have a pair of long handle duck bill needle nose that worked perfectly.

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
              I'm afraid of denting the front of the bezel with the channel locks ?
              That's what the rag is for. Didn't damage it a bit.

The long and short of it is, it's no good the way it is so you really can't lose trying.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks for the help!
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                X