Headlight HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight HELP!

Ok, here the question I have a 1980 XS 1100 Special, the headlight light on the dash keeps coming on at the same time my headlight goes dim. Now this seems to happen when I am accelerate between2500 and 3000 rmp’s, and only under a hard acceleration. I read that there is a box that needs to be taken out but I cannot find it, maybe the PO took it out. What do I need to check next.

Thank you for all of your help,

Gary Or

What you're seeing is the Reserve Lighting Unit doing it's intended job. When the low beam filament dies (or is sensed to be not drawing power), the RLU switches on and lights the headlight warning light on the dash, then turns on the High beam on a low wattage so you are not driving around with no headlight, or forced to use a super-bright beam.

I suggest that you do a few tests. First, take the headlight out of the bucket and try shaking it around a bit while the light is on. Does this cause the same symptoms? You may have a bulb that is going out. Try wiggling connections around, and while you're in there, clean and dielectric grease all the connections you can find. Also, check on the connections in the left handlebar control switch. Since the high-beam switch is in there, you may have a bad connection causing the RLU to trip over. There are a few solder connections in there that are known points of failure. You can just re-solder them and be good as new. Be sure you dielectric grease the whole assembly in there as well. It's exposed to the elements and needs all the protection it can get.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

1980 XS11 Special with Vetter Fairing

I have what looks like a Vetter Quicksilver fairing.

The headlamp is dead!

I'm trying to:

1.) pull the front of the headlight off, remove the headlight, I'm not sure. It appears one can just replace the element without replacing the whole housing which is rectangular (like a car's) I have a model# for the fairing. Vetter 12-051986. Tried searching Craig Vetter's site but could find no information on how to get the thing off.

2.) once #1 is accomplished determine the element/bulb/part number so I can replace it.

The one Quicksilver PDF I did find on Craig Vetter's site said to remove the four screws (which I can see) but there appears to be no way to engage them with the tip of the screwdriver.

Help!
      80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by mijanders View Post
        I have what looks like a Vetter Quicksilver fairing.

The headlamp is dead!

I'm trying to:

1.) pull the front of the headlight off, remove the headlight, I'm not sure. It appears one can just replace the element without replacing the whole housing which is rectangular (like a car's) I have a model# for the fairing. Vetter 12-051986. Tried searching Craig Vetter's site but could find no information on how to get the thing off.

2.) once #1 is accomplished determine the element/bulb/part number so I can replace it.

The one Quicksilver PDF I did find on Craig Vetter's site said to remove the four screws (which I can see) but there appears to be no way to engage them with the tip of the screwdriver.

Help!
        Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Help us help you
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Don't want to high jack a post but I have a headlight question also. Just picked up a storage building project. A 1980 xs1100 special and the taillight works, the hazards flashers work but no turn signals using the switch and absolutely no headlights. I had a few minutes earlier and pulled the headlight off. The bulb looks good and checked it with a meter and nothing at the plug for the headlight. Does anyone have a fuse diagram for this so I don't have to start pulling all of them to see if I can find a bad one or any tips and any tips on the turn signals not working? Like I said I know the turn bulbs work because the hazards make them come on. Just nothing using the turn signal switch. Thanks.
          80 SG

Comment

Andy,

You're posting in the "How To" forum that's for help with how to use the forums. You should post your technical questions in the XS11/XJ11 Discussion
            forum:-
            XS11/XJ11 Discussion

Anyway! Some of your questions are answered in your other thread:-

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?p=491304#post491304 | No headlights and turn signals

Welcome to XS11.com!
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Sorry. Will do.
              80 SG

Comment

Working...
              X