what to use to clean wheels and engine side covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to use to clean wheels and engine side covers

hey all, im bringing my bike back to life. its been sitting in storage for a long time. my aluminum wheels look terrible! not oxidation or dirt, just weird light whiteish spots around the bare aluminum after scrubbing whole wheel and tire with Greased Lightning. i tried Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish without success. i want to post pictures and created a photobucket acct. but when i click "insert image", it wants a URL. that doesnt put what image i want, so????? any ideas on what product to use? thanx
    Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
    Kerker 4/1
    stock carbs and air box.
    78 headlite, handle bars,
    1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
    crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
    78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
    94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

First, if you have a photobucket account, click on the IMG code, then come to your post here and simply paste that IMG code into a new line of your post. That will put your pics up.

The white stuff your seeing is how aluminum oxidizes, it gets that white stuff on it. I would say you should start with soem good rubbing compound to try to remove that before going to the lighter Mothers polish.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Thanx, ill try rubbing compound. somethings gotta work! the light whiteish spots are not powdered oxidation, ive experienced that. the best way to describe it is if u use Armour All on plastic and u get spotted water on it afterwards, there are spots where the water was. ill try to post pixs. want to share the efforts of all my work to persons that can appreciate the love 4 our XS's
      Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
      Kerker 4/1
      stock carbs and air box.
      78 headlite, handle bars,
      1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
      crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
      78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
      94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

GreasedLightning/PurpleStuff has some fairly harsh chemicals that are hard on aluminum. Blu-Magic paste cleaner for aluminum will remove most all the "ugly" and polish them back up...
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

sounds to me your describing Hard water stains? maybe? maybe someone hosed em down then let them air dry? try a hard water stain remover you never know.
          1978 XS1100 Macho Maroon!
          http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00361.jpg

Comment

Again, Blu-Magic will resolve your woes on the wheels. McGuires fine-cut cleaner from automotive paint store WILL resolve the side-cover issue.......not from wally-World either.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
            X