Broken link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken link

I log in, read a few posts, go to another or post a response and I get a broken link message. "Server not found" or something like that. It does it from home or at hotels where I spend most of my time. Is it me, or is this happening to everyone?

After broken link, I can get on through a proxy server. Are you folks trying to tell me something?
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
    I log in, read a few posts, go to another or post a response and I get a broken link message. "Server not found" or something like that. It does it from home or at hotels where I spend most of my time. Is it me, or is this happening to everyone?

After broken link, I can get on through a proxy server. Are you folks trying to tell me something?
    It's not just you, Marty, it's been happening to a few other people, too.

It bit me this morning and after it came back up on the 'net it hit me with an "internal database error" that refused to let me post but I could read and navigate the site just fine.
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yeah, it seems to be a common problem these days. The site won't come up, or comes but won't respond fully after a few minutes. The only time it really irritates me is when I'm posting and it eats the post...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

yes I have quickly learned to be always copy my posts before submiting it because more often than not you lose it.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yup, my DNS server being opendns has a link and such, and MOST of the time the issue reported by opendns is failure of the DNS servers at the hosting site where the site is hosted. They usually come back up within a few minutes, so I'm guessing it's a failure under load. You would think that as long as this has been going on, that the hosting company would have done something about it by now.

Oh, and it goes in cycles, sometimes I'll go for a couple of days without a problem, and sometimes I'll have problems 6 or 7 times in one day. DNS caching doesn't seem to help either, as it appears that even with that the DNS server actually has to be touched. I'm not sure it's not really a router in front of the DNS machines that failing which might be why the proxy works, it comes in via a different route and doesn't hit the same router?
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I just got kicked off again. "SERVER NOT FOUND" I close the window, wait a while, and I'm back on.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              I just got kicked off again. "SERVER NOT FOUND" I close the window, wait a while, and I'm back on.
              Yup, that's the DNS problem, I just got that a short time ago also, I just go do something else for a little bit and then come back later and it's fine. I think that the hosting sites ISP's DNS servers (likely one and the same) are overloaded and failing under load.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

that's proly a good guess, I have the same problem, so I close the tab and go to a different site for a while
                Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
                X