Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB—78 XS1100 factory mufflers

Folks

I am looking for the factory mufflers for my 78. Does anyone have a pair?

FYI, you can use 81H model exhaust system and they allow removal of the axle without that silly-assed cable tool. They are a little quieter than the 78E pipes also. The drawbacks are (1) you have to remove the center stand (you can save it to do work) . (b) The pipe need to be mounted on the rear peg support brackets. (c) the rear brake pedal comes very close to the right pipe when pushing hard, mine does not make contact.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

PS, the 78 does not have removable mufflers.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

FYI: The 81H is the Venturer. It has the same exhaust systems as the Specials.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Those OEM long type 78-80 systems are near impossible to find in good shape.

BTW, the axle can be removed easily if you run 11" Honda Shadow shocks. It's above the pipes enough then.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

howdy Gal Dem,,,,a cheap alternative to factory yam mufflers{ if you can even find them},,,,is harley davidson factory mufflers,,,the dyna models are best,,,,,they are usually cheap and plentiful everywhere, craigslist, dealers, offerup, ebay,,,,,the HD owners take them off and put on aftermarket and sell/give away the factory mufflers. They sound great and take about 1 hour to mount to the xs models,,,,do a search in the search section for harley muffler and there are quite a few directions for the mod....I have done it to a few xs1100's and love the sound,,,a bit deeper grumble, like a 60's shelby mustang v8,,,good luck either way,,,Mike in San Diego and Pa.

Comment

Guys

Thanks for all the info. I'll look into the Harley ones.

Comment

here is one of the threads for a harley install......

Installing Harley Fat Boy mufflers on XS11 motorcycles

by Curt Marsh

Today, I finally got around to doing the project.

Installing Fat Boy mufflers on OEM 4 into 2 system on an '80 G.

H-D mufflers are readily available because H-D riders take off OEM systems, as soon as they can afford it, to get the "right" sound. Near new mufflers can be picked up for $30 to $40 per set on eBay. At swap meets they are usually cheaper on the last day because H-D riders don't want them.

The total time is about an hour (less, if you already have the adapter). Tools: Hack saw, 8 mm Allen socket (best) or wrench, 1/2 box wrench, a 10 mm box wrench, hammer and 2 X 4 block.
                1. Remove the exhaust system and measure the diameter of the pipes.
                2. Cut the OEM muffler just in front of the cross over pipe. This eliminated the cross over pipe. The pipe that was left is just a hair under 1 3/4" O.D. and double walled.
                3. Install an adapter 1 3/4" I.D. by 1 3/4 O.D. by 4" long I.D. end goes over the muffler stub. I had to grind down the edge of the OEM muffler to start it. Then drove the adapter home with a board and hammer. This leaves the 1 3/4" O.D. to attach to the Fat Boy muffler.
                4. IMPORTANT: Install the muffler, so the writing is upside down. It changes the angle of the bracket welded to the muffler.
                5. The Fat Boy muffler has 2 bolts holding the OEM hanger plate. Remove the H-D hanger plate and install the Yamaha hanger plate from the OEM mufflers by the rear bolt.
                6. Bolt on the headers, attach the muffler, bolt the hanger bracket into place.
                7. Mark the hanger bracket angle. Remove the muffler and drill the second hole and put in the second bolt.
                8. Install the muffler, again, and bolt the hanger bracket in place.
                It has a nice deep, mellow sound and a louder (but not H-D LOUD) than the OEM mufflers are. When you back it off in gear, it definitely says there something under this tank you don't want to mess with

Idle may be just a little off. I'm going to wait a day or two and see if it needs adjusting.

I set aside half a day to do this project. If I had realized it was going to be this easy I would have done it a month ago

Tags: None

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	879622 Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	879623 Keeping these as long as possible.
                  80 G

Comment

Working...
                  X