• Show
Clear All

• XS Service Manuals

Click image for larger version

Name:	ServiceManuals.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	872538

Slowly but surely preparing for my XS retirement. I have three XS11 and one XS850 Service manuals with typical old and used covers but pretty clean inside.
    Does $15.00 each plus $5.00 U.S. shipping seem fair? PM here or contact me through my website if interested. Thanks. Bob

Attached Files
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Definately a Fair Deal, Bob,,,hope someone needs these great info sources for our bikes, I already have the ones I need, and if anyone has an xs1100 def. get this to make repairs much easier......Mike in S.Diego, and Pa.

Comment

I can't find the "add topic" button anywhere for some reason so I'm going to piggyback on this subject. My friend that is working on my '81 MNS has posted a video on youtube of his first test ride and is looking for suggestions. He thought it was the plugged gas cap issue, but now thinks it may be something in the spark ignition. He's a very good mechanic and has worked on a lot of stuff. Take a look for me and see if you veterans have any suggestions please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvzwclRi_rU&t=9s
      1981 Midnight Special
      Formerly had a Seca 550 and boy was it fast!!

Comment

Watching the video and please don't think I'm being a jerk for saying but #1-pull over instead of trying to switch the petcocks with one hand-Seen too many accidents when people try to use 1 hand. Seems like it was very windy out and that right side mirror should be mounted more securely. Are you pulling out the choke when the bike is warmed up? If so something is dirty in the carbs. The bike is already warmed up so I don't think using the choke is a wise idea. I've had the tank vent clog before and it should probably be cleaned out. The gasket should also be replaced if it is worn out. Are all the exhaust pipes warm? You can spritz water on the pipes and it should immediately steam up. If water runs down after the choke is pushed off, then you got some dirt in the carbs. I had that problem last summer. When I started having knee issues, I didn't ride for several weeks and rainy weather didn't help. When I finally did ride, I had leftover gas in the tank and the #4 exhaust pipe was warm at best. Taking off the carbs again- #4 carb was thoroughly gone through and when I put it back together, the bike sounded and rode like new.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hi NormalThom,,,nice video, seems like carbs balanced ok, would recommend a couple things to check
          1. check for vacuum leaks when warm, spray carb cleaner around carbs, boots when running see if rpm changes indicating leak
          2. check the ohms on the pickup coils, unplug from the cdi and check the 1,4 and 2,3 wire going back to the pickup coils, I had same exact thing, when warm would die then start then eventually no spark
          3. since it overflowed I am guessing one of the floats is sticking open when you were at the gas station, so pulloff and recheck the floats closing, I hold upside down and right side up and blow through the gas lines, one way air goes in the other when the float is closed no air should go in or the float is not closing and the needle is letting gas flow
          4. check gas fuel filters, hope you have them inline after the petcock,,,,if no inline filters get them asap,,,,if so, should be clean or need replacement
          5. check spark plug lines in the dark when running in case of shorts to engine, should see sparking if so
          keep us informed on what has been checked and hope the gang can pinpoint for you, nice bike,,,Mike in San Diego and Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by normalthom View Post
            I can't find the "add topic" button anywhere for some reason so I'm going to piggyback on this subject. My friend that is working on my '81 MNS has posted a video on youtube of his first test ride and is looking for suggestions. He thought it was the plugged gas cap issue, but now thinks it may be something in the spark ignition. He's a very good mechanic and has worked on a lot of stuff. Take a look for me and see if you veterans have any suggestions please.

Just posted a reply on YouTube, see my post about a month ago (and solution) here:

https://xs11.club/forum/idle-talk-fo...-on-1980-1100g
            1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by normalthom View Post

watched the video and I would make sure the vent on the gas cap has actually been thoroughly cleaned. It has to be completely taken apart to accomplish that and it you are going that far get a new gasket and install that at the same time. When he stopped at the gas station I noticed the top of the number 4 carb. Looks like a standard set of carbs on the bike. I can't remember everything that you have done on the bike. Reason for the earlier carbs? I also noticed at the very beginning of the video when he was walking up to the bike there were two full sets of carbs on his shop/garage floor. They look like midnight special carbs. The problems you are having are carb related. They need to be adjusted. The bike ran good when it ran. Like someone else stated above, once the bike is as hot as he had it the choke should not be needed. A properly tuned set of carbs would never need to be choked after the bike got to running temperature. If those are the earlier carbs, and I am asking if they are then the normal special petcocks, unless they have been changed as well don't have the built in vacuum shutoff feature in them. If the OCTY has been removed then you will always have to shut off the petcocks when you park the bike. As quickly as those carbs started flooding gas at the gas station you definitely have a problem with a float needle not seating properly or the float is hanging on something. He never put the bike up on the center stand when he gassed up. The jiffy stand option causes the bike to lean to the left side which adds to the quick gas dump from whichever carbs are not seating properly. If I had the bike I would be pulling the carbs and going back through them step by step.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys!! To answer the question from cajun31, I bought the bike three years ago and knew then that the carbs were not original. I bought a set of MNS carbs off of dpotter58 on this forum simply because they had to gold tops on them. I'm hoping this guy can get them put on the bike for me when he gets all the other bull**** figured out. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks again for the tips!!
                1981 Midnight Special
                Formerly had a Seca 550 and boy was it fast!!

Comment

Working...
                X