Stuck carb slide & butterflies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck carb slide & butterflies.

I'm in the process of resurrecting an '81 XS SH. Looks like 26k original miles. It had (suspected) starter problems, was parked and left to the elements for 'a few years'. (The fuel that was in the tank is now in the crankcase.) Carbs are in rough shape. The #1 slide is varnished in place. I'm hesitant to use any chemicals that could harm the slides or diaphragms. Been using WD but #1 won't budge. Same for the butterflies. Anyone have any ideas? Lemon juice? Club soda? (lol!)
    79 SF

Originally posted by nommadd75 View Post
    I'm in the process of resurrecting an '81 XS SH. Looks like 26k original miles. It had (suspected) starter problems, was parked and left to the elements for 'a few years'. (The fuel that was in the tank is now in the crankcase.) Carbs are in rough shape. The #1 slide is varnished in place. I'm hesitant to use any chemicals that could harm the slides or diaphragms. Been using WD but #1 won't budge. Same for the butterflies. Anyone have any ideas? Lemon juice? Club soda? (lol!)
    Remove diaphragm assemblies off top of carbs and put a few drops of Kroil around slide assemblies and let sit for a bit. Then try and work slides up and down a bit before removing them.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks motoman! I'll give that a try. Much appreciated!
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by nommadd75 View Post
        Thanks motoman! I'll give that a try. Much appreciated!
        Welcome...….and replace the floatneedles so fuel doesn't over fill the float bowls and run into crankcase. Also, float bowl fuel levels have to be same height in all four carbs at 3mm down from carb casting where bowls attach. On ALL 81 models, this HAS to be checked with motor at operating temperature and idleing. Use a clear fuel hose which slips over bowl drain, loosen fuel drain screws on side of fuel bowl while holding fuel hose up beside the side of carb. This will give you the actual running fuel level in bowl. For easier visual where fuel level is, the center of lock washer where bowl retaining screws are is where fuel level needs to be. No worries, you'll get good and quick removing carbs a few times in order to get that fuel level correct……..and definitely change the oil and oil filter before starting motor!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Remove diaphragm assemblies off top of carbs and put a few drops of Kroil around slide assemblies and let sit for a bit. Then try and work slides up and down a bit before removing them.
          And if I may add a bit, take a hair dryer or heat gun , and heat the body of the carb with the slide in it, up to a temperature that needs gloves to be able to handle it. Or dip it in boiling water. It will soften the varnish a little bit and allow slow steady pressure to start the slide moving.

CZ

Comment

Working...
          X