• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Standard Gas Tank

20140717_100645 by christopherwallace828, on Flickr
    20140717_100654 by christopherwallace828, on Flickr
    20140717_100720 by christopherwallace828, on Flickr
    20140717_100821 by christopherwallace828, on Flickr

Dent free and clean on the inside. Tank has been creamed on the inside but from what I can see had no rust or damage to begin with. So I'm not sure why it was creamed but now it is sealed and rusting wont be an issue. Previous owner started to paint the tank but did not finish the job. Nothing wrong with this tank just wanted the special tank instead. I may have to swap the petcocks with my new tank but wont know til it gets here. Tank comes how you see it in the pics minus my fuel line and filters. $150 plus the shipping.
    1980 XS11

Standards tank and special tank petcocks are not interchangeable. They are different bolt hole center to center distances.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Standards tank and special tank petcocks are not interchangeable. They are different bolt hole center to center distances.
      Good to know, and I guess I wont be swapping petcocks then.
      1980 XS11

Comment

tank price?

If I'm asking to much for this tank I am open to offers? I am not trying to rip anyone off by any means. I just have a pretty nice tank that I really have no use for, nothing more nothing less. Thanks guys.
        1980 XS11

Comment

At $150 plus shipping we're talking almost $200 to get it to their front door. The paint job is obviously non-factory so it's not going to match anybody's existing bike (side cover, cowling, etc.) so it will almost definitely need to be repainted which is going to cost (speaking from experience) at least $500-$600 for a not hobo paint job. Plus the cost of ripping the old tank liner out since Kream is notorious for degrading over time (some people disagree).

Overall, that's an $800+ investment in a bike that's worth $1500 on a good day, in outstanding condition. Just some thoughts to be had

I've been searching for a backup tank for awhile now since I know, even though it has been sealed with Red Kote, my tank's days are numbered. I've been searching for a good deal but most people think that the paint on it adds to the value when, truthfully, a stripped bare tank would be best since it has to be re-painted anyways to match.

I'd be very interested in the tank, since it is supposedly dent-free (we'll see after it gets stripped and the bondo is removed ). If you are willing to let it go for less, PM me and we'll make a deal.
          78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
          79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

interested, sent Pm.
            79 F

Comment

Working...
            X