1980 left side cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 left side cover

I've been keeping my eyes open for a left side cover for a 1980 Special. Found a functional one for $130.00. Too much? is there a cheaper alternative? Mine has a 1" hole drilled through it for some unknown reason and the locking tab is broken off and missing.

Mine was damaged in a fire. (stuck float) I don't remember what I paid for a replacement pair, but they weren't cheap or perfect. They certainly won't get any more plentiful.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

No way I'd pay that much for one! You can re-build the latch and patch the hole with baking soda and super glue. It sands just like bondo, and you can paint it.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

+1 for what C-bug said. I had a 1 inch hole in mine where there was a cigarette lighter installed. Fixed it and the lock with the superglue and Baking Soda thing. Stuff is awesome, took the most of it off with my bench grinder till it was to where I needed to sand it.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
        X