1980 Special Gas Tank Wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 Special Gas Tank Wanted.

Hey there. When I bought this bike it had a huge dent in the tank and at the time I had not heard of pressurizing the gas tank and heating the metal to pop it out yet, so my dumb azz welded metal studs to it and pulled the dent out. The metal ripped, so I welded it back up and smothered JB weld over it, then used bondo. It turned out descent if you don't know what's there, doesn't leak (yet), and I can hardly see the dent, but I would like a tank that has not been totally brutalized for my bike. This way I can take my time painting it and put some cool graphics on while I'm at it without loosing riding time. I won't have money for a few weeks until income tax so no hurry, I just wanted to start the search now.

I also would like to know what years are interchangeable with my bike for reference, thanks.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

I have a special tank hanging on my garage wall.I can take pics and send them to you.
    My friends family lives in Pasco, so if you want it and can wait a bit I can probably get it to the Tri-Cities pretty easy.He either goes down there or
    his dad comes to Spokane usually every couple months.You could even pick it up if you happen to come to Spokane.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by jeepsterluv View Post
      I also would like to know what years are interchangeable with my bike for reference, thanks.
      There are 4 different stock tanks used by the bikes on this forum:
      ALL Specials
      ALL Standards (including '78)
      Venturer (looks like a Standard tank, but larger)
      ALL XJ's

So, if you find a "Special" tank, it doesn't matter what year it comes from. They are all the same.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I have a red Special tank from my '79. has a very minor dent, im looking for $100 plus shipping with 2 petcocks, sender etc.
        XS11.Com resident Black Sheep

Comment

I still need a Special tank.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
          X