I need a new 79' ignition module and connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new 79' ignition module and connectors

I am also curious to know if anyone knows how to properly install the General-Motors ignition modules to actually make the engine run. I installed everything and it has spark, but it DOES NOT run. It actually started up one time, only for a few seconds. PLEASE help me. BTW, I am fully certain that there are no other problems with the ignition OR the carburetors. Could the problem lye in the wrong resistance after the module, (ballast resistance)??!!!!:

i have a stock module if you want a stock if not here is the build your own post ....http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9753
    careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

If it has spark on a 79, then it probably isn't the TCI. All the advance and timing is handled mechanically via counterweights and vacuum pod.

If you are absolutely certain its ignition related then the only possibility is timing. I would suggest that you may be looking at the wrong problem.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by desmomotorrad View Post
        I am also curious to know if anyone knows how to properly install the General-Motors ignition modules to actually make the engine run. I installed everything and it has spark, but it DOES NOT run. It actually started up one time, only for a few seconds. PLEASE help me. BTW, I am fully certain that there are no other problems with the ignition OR the carburetors. Could the problem lye in the wrong resistance after the module, (ballast resistance)??!!!!:
        Your profile says you have an XS11E. That's a '78. Why are you looking for a '79 (F, SF) model?
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Sounds like he got spark from the GM components and not the stock TCI. The 78 and 79 models are identical from an ignition standpoint IIRC so should not matter which one, may have a 79 engine in the bike.

I think your best guidance is the link provided. Not many have gone that route that I know of, and it woul dbe very tough to guess how you did what to know what to fix. Any of the 2H7 TCIs will work, they were on all bikes from 1978 through 1980 IIRC, not overly expensive to find one. JMO
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
          X