Carb anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb anyone?

I have an '81 and as stupid as this is, the damn float stuck and I did not want to pull the carbs so I whacked the bowl with a screwdriver and actually bent the float bowl! So now the carb is effectively ruined. I got ti bent inside so it seems to work on the bench but as soon as real gas goes in the carb the float sticks in both open and closed positions. I may try and work with it one last time, but my hope is rather minimal. I think I need a new carb. It's the #4 cylinder (far right). Does anyone have one they'd sell me? I really can't afford much. Just a float and a right side carb bowl would do it, or a whole carb, but I'd hate to have to spend $100+ on a whole set of carbs.

The crazy part is that the bend in the bowl is so slight it cannot even be seen but I can't figure what else the problem could be because the little metal lip that goes around the bowl is notieably bent so I figure the bowl must be bent. Man those jap bike tolerances are exacting!

Comment

You can try using a "dead blow" hammer on it. Craft a 2X4 down to fit the good side of the float bowl, and then use it as a form to bent the bad side back. At worst, you need a new bowl, at best, it's fixed.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Spare carb parts

I have four spare sets of carbs if you need one I can sell the whole rack, or any individual parts you need. No problem. Email me direct at Motopsycho@wat.midco.net
        I highly doubt I'll ever need FOUR spare sets for parts to keep my one running.

Comment

Lunatic, I sent you a PM, as I have a need for a set of carbs. Also, please fill out your bio, it makes it easier on the rest of us. Thanks
          Jim Horton
          Myrtle Beach SC 29588
          843-274-5045

Comment

Done, and Done. Took me a bit to figure out HOW to set things, but its all done now.

Comment

Great! Now that your bio is done, everyone knows that you are located in the middle of no-where, and we (mostly) live in the civilized parts of the world! LOL
              Jim Horton
              Myrtle Beach SC 29588
              843-274-5045

Comment

Boy, howdy, ain't that the truth. Lots of open space out this way. Lived here a long time though. Zero crime, clean air, and very few laws. I likes it. On the downside, its a hundred miles minimum before the roads are anything but a grid pattern.

Comment

But here in SC we can ride all year!!!
                  Jim Horton
                  Myrtle Beach SC 29588
                  843-274-5045

Comment

I ride all year round also. The XS1100 makes a GREAT sidecar rig.
                    I just have to bundle up a bit more some of the time, thats all.
                    I have a friend who lives in Corpus Crispy TX, He can't ride in the summer as it gets TOO hot to ride at times. Its all relative.

Comment

Yeah, we ride "weather"---Whether is rains or not, is cold or not, etc!!!!!
                      Jim Horton
                      Myrtle Beach SC 29588
                      843-274-5045

Comment

Working...
                      X