Shameless plug, rectifier/regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shameless plug, rectifier/regulator

Please forgive the shameless commercial post. I'm broke and my loss could be your gain.

I'm overstocked by 3 VRR3 regulator / rectifier units for the XS750~XS1100 and XJ1100. I'll let these go for $80 shipped (in the USA and a few more $ anywhere else.) This is a $17.50 break over the regular price and the life guarantee still holds. This offer is good through the end of December.

Geezer
    OregonMotorcycleParts.com
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

"Boom Boom out go the lights"

I may be getting one of these....
    On my way home from work (dark) my headlight, insturment lights, and tach all quit.
    Turned-on the fog lights and continued home.
    Since the light fuse still looks good and tail/brake and running lights still work, yet the tach stopped, I'm guessing it's in the charging system.
    I wasn't feeling well (the dizzyness) I fell right to sleep when I got home and didn't wake-up till time to come to work so I didn't look at the bike (E). Still not feeling well but will try to avoid the medication that knocks me out.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Corrosion on the contacts inside the headlight shell can also cause this problem.

If you have a fairing and all the wiring that was in the headlight shell is in a bag, then it's even more likely that corrosion is to blame.

With one of my reg/reg units you would have more power at low RPM for those fog lights but over all output would be the same.

Geezer

Comment

I am betting it is a wiring issue too. I will take a look at a wiring diagram to see what I can find out. Let you know what I think it is later.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

The tach not working and poor or no charging is a sign of a bad reg/rec unit. The gage lights being down makes me think the problem is in the connections.

Just remember, dielectric grease is our friend...

Geezer

Comment

does everything else work?(horn, turn signals, etc) Looks like it could be a number of things. IMHO I would go over a wiring diagram and test all of the leads where there should be voltage. Then trace them back to the source. Ignition switches go bad and other odds and ends. Hope you figure it out.
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Only the headlight, insturment lights, and tach are not working. Voltmeter on the fairing shows no (or low) charging.
              I just put the fairing back on and all the connections were cleaned and (dilectric) greased.
              Since this week has been a bad week for me (the dizzyness) I've done nothing but work and sleep. Even without the medication I've been unable to stay awake. Makes me glad I have a camper on my truck. Work 8 hours, sleep 15 hours. Next test is and ENG (balance) test on the 29th. I hope they determine what is causing this. Nearly 10 months of dizzyness and ringing in my left ear 24/7. It hasn't been as bad the last 3-4 months but this week it's been bad.
              Hopefully tomorrow I will feel up to testing my reg/rec.
              I only use the foglights on the really foggy days and I turn them off when I come to a stop. If I didn't have them the other morning I would have removed my front turnsignal/running light lenses and used those. Did that long ago and made it home 50 miles at night with some mountain driving. Even Highway Patrol didn't stop me when they were going the other way.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Geezer,
                I will need one of your regulator / rectifier units for my XS1100LG that I'm restoring if you still one aval. but can not pay for it until after Christmas.

Pat sorry to hear about your dizzy spells. Hope you get relief soon. One of my co-workers had been having the same thing as you have mentioned, dizziness and ringing in ear 24/7 with one additional thing he said was sometimes it felt like he had loose rocks rolling around in his head (ears). He had 2 scans and several doctors visits over the last several months with no conclusive results for his problem. So he went searching on the internet and found the information about Behign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPM). He asked his doc about BPPM and was treated for it and has not had a dizzy spell or major ear ringing since. The doctor told him that the treatment, a moving of the head to different position for x # of seconds 20, 30, 40 etc... to allow the displaced otocnia (ear rocks) to move back to their proper place. You might check on this.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All
                Do'Lee
                XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Have your friend check www.meneires.org

Forum as friendly, if not more so than this one.

Tons of info on all things related to dizzyness.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Not a problem. I have a couple more not spoken for and if I run out, I'll make more.

Geezer

Originally posted by Do Lee
                    Geezer,
                    I will need one of your regulator / rectifier units for my XS1100LG that I'm restoring if you still one aval. but can not pay for it until after Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                      Since this week has been a bad week for me (the dizzyness) I've done nothing but work and sleep. Even without the medication I've been unable to stay awake. Makes me glad I have a camper on my truck.
                      Take care and hopefully you will have some good news in your near future.

I've been dealing with health problems for the past year or so too. I have high BP and I had atrial fibrillation off and on off for most of the first half of this year. I've been beating a normal rhythm for the past several months and I'm off the heart meds. Getting old sure can suck.

Geezer

Comment

Awwww... C'mon Tony... these are the Golden Years!! : )

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Golden, what hair I have is gray and from how I'm falling apart, it seems that my warranty has expired. The truth is I'm getting better but the flu followed by a cold has made me more than a little grumpy...

Geezer

Comment

Hi I am new here and really like this forum. And I am also interested in a good spare regulator/rectifier unit. Having searched other threads this sounds like a great unit you are supplying. And at the price it's hard to let it slip by. I have an '82 XJ 1100. Right now I have the fairing off and am replacing the steering head bearings. While disconnecting all the wiring I did find some corrosion in a couple of connectors. Is there anything that can be used to clean out these contacts in the female connectors? I know if you use a baking soda solution on battery terminals it will dissolve some of the acid corrosion. What I am concerned with is removing corrosion without removing the terminal plating that's on the terminals. I hope that made sense! Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

As far as the regulator / rectifier I could Pay Pal you the money and I also live in Vancouver Canada but I do have a WA state mailing address that I could use. Let me know. Thanks again. Great Forum.
                            '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
                            '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
                            '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
                            '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
                            '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
                            Sold the Harley and kept the XJ
                            '82 XJ Guy

Comment

You can make a thin, flat probe that will release the terminals from the plugs on the plugs with blade style terminals. The round ones don't come out as far as I know...

Anyway I release the terminals from the plugs then use a wire brush to clean them. I also coat the terminals with dielectric grease to prevent them from corroding again.

If you can't get the plug out the non-chlorinated break cleaner to flush out plugs. It won't dissolve most plastics.

I stock some of the plugs and terminals in case you need to replace them.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
                              X