Advice on selling my 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on selling my 11

It was a pandemic project that I acquired. I went through it stem to stern and it's got <8k miles. Puffs a bit of smoke on cold start and fork seals leak a bit (I may toss my replacements in). Added a quick release windshield, Krause bags, and a nice shad top case.

Am I best off to take the travel gear off and sell it separately? It is all original and in pretty good condition, is $3g reasonable W/O gear or am I low/high? I just have too many bikes to keep without letting something sit and would rather see this one get used appropriately. This pic doesn't show the beauty stock exhaust that a member here hooked me up with.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190720_122801.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.5 KB ID:	880060 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200825_180943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.8 KB ID:	880061
    Last edited by 2WheelFun; 05-29-2024, 10:11 AM.
    1979 XS1100 Special
    1980 XS1100 Std parts bucket
    1987 ZL1000 Eliminator
    1976 XS750D Project in waiting

I need to get my Special moved out of the garage as well Eric. LOTS of parts too.
    Have been saying that for a few years now but have put no effort into it.
    Did you get to ride it much after installing the exhaust?
    Dean
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

Hi Eric,
      Got your msg. I pretty much retired from the hobby last year.
      Still trying to sell a bunch of spare parts myself.
      I replied to your PM wishing you good luck on your sale.
      Bob
      Bob's Bikes:
      79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
      https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
      https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
      "
      Project XS11"
      "Rucksack Grunt"
      "Small Unit Leadership"
      "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
      For Sale Here.

Comment

It's nice to hear from some of the friends that helped me put this baby back together!

I think I got to put 800 miles on it over the last couple of years.

I'll wash it down this weekend and get some pictures up. Probably best to take the travel gear off, put the grab bar on and sell it bone stock.

In the meantime, if anyone is looking for a highly original, low mile example, hit me up. I'd love for it to go to an enthusiast.

Eric
        1979 XS1100 Special
        1987 ZL1000 Eliminator

Comment

Bone stock original will always be the best for value IMO. I think a well sorted clean stock Special with low miles, $3000 is about right in the current market. Things have definitely softened up from the heady days of 2021-2022 when people were paying crazy money for old bikes/cars/etc.
          Yamahas: 1978 XS1100E, 1976 XS500C

Comment

There's this one for sale that may be comparable to yours, If you have nice original stock pipes on it.

1980 Yamaha XS1100 Special - 6k Miles! - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale - craigslist

Bob's Bikes:
            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
            "
            Project XS11"
            "Rucksack Grunt"
            "Small Unit Leadership"
            "Jean's Heroic Journey"

Bob's Parts:
            For Sale Here.

Comment

I'd say mine is close to that one as far as condition. It's so tough to evaluate from far away shots.
              I guess I will tidy up the loose ends over the next week or so and get some pictures on here for everyone to see.

I would like to actually sell this one, not just tell the wife I am selling it. Do they actually pull 5G or better without being a midnight?

Thanks.
              1979 XS1100 Special
              1987 ZL1000 Eliminator

Comment

If you want to sell it put on a price tag of $3,000.00. If you want to keep it for the rest of your life put on a price tag of $5,000.00 on it.

Comment

I could see the cleanest Special in the world pulling $5k on Bring a Trailer right now, prices have stayed nutty over there even as the "real world" has cooled off. The Midnight Specials have been pulling some surprising numbers, $7k+, which is stupefying to me, as someone who really doesn't care for the aesthetics of them.
                  Yamahas: 1978 XS1100E, 1976 XS500C

Comment

Working...
                  X