1980 XS1100 Midnight Special #1089

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special #1089

Before I list this bike anywhere else I'd like to offer forum members a chance at it.

Bike is completely original aside from: battery, oil filter, all fluids, and a handful of o-rings.

I've performed all service on the bike in the past couple months. All fluids changed; engine oil, mid drive, final drive, forks, and brakes. All calipers and master cylinders have been disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Tank has been internally cleaned along with fuel sensor and petcocks. Carbs have been cleaned and synced; float valve seat o-rings were replaced. Original air filter had crumbled, I lined the original cage with new foam. Anything that needed attention was given. Valves and timing chain adjusted.

This bike was bought new in 1980, stored in a garage since 1983. I purchased from the original owner; it has his name on the lower triple tree placard. Had 6001 miles when I bought, now has 6036. Runs very strong. Original tires present well with no major dry rot (would definitely change if you intend to ride). There's typical corrosion/pitting and engine paint peeling that you would expect from a bike sitting for 40 years, but it's minor.

If anyone's interested send me a message, make me an offer. I can answer any questions or anything. Located in SW Pennsylvania. Clean title in my name.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Charka120; 11-30-2023, 10:47 AM.

Originally posted by Charka120 View Post
    Before I list this bike anywhere else I'd like to offer forum members a chance at it.

Bike is completely original aside from: battery, oil filter, all fluids, and a handful of o-rings.

I've performed all service on the bike in the past couple months. All fluids changed; engine oil, mid drive, final drive, forks, and brakes. All calipers and master cylinders have been disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Tank has been internally cleaned along with fuel sensor and petcocks. Carbs have been cleaned and synced; float valve seat o-rings were replaced. Original air filter had crumbled, I lined the original cage with new foam. Anything that needed attention was given. Valves and timing chain adjusted.

This bike was bought new in 1980, stored in a garage since 1983. I purchased from the original owner; it has his name on the lower triple tree placard. Had 6001 miles when I bought, now has 6036. Runs very strong. Original tires present well with no major dry rot (would definitely change if you intend to ride). There's typical corrosion/pitting and engine paint peeling that you would expect from a bike sitting for 40 years, but it's minor.

If anyone's interested send me a message, make me an offer. I can answer any questions or anything. Located in SW Pennsylvania. Clean title in my name.
    wow... still has the mag mopus tires on it. Throw a price at us. I am sure someone will want it.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

We are all drooling,,,,,like cajun said,,,,throw out a price,,,and how does it run after your go over??? Mike from S. DIego and Pa.

Comment

Bike runs and rides very well. It's cold blooded... but it has been cold here recently. Runs perfect when warm. Starts easy hot or cold, pulls clean through all rpms, and idles nicely. Clutch is butter smooth; I cleaned and lubed the lever/pivot and cable. Suspension and brakes all feel great aside from a very slight pulse in the rear brake. All electronics and lights work. Tools are in the tool box, i was told they've never been out, so I didn't touch them.

I replaced the four float seat o-rings, the two petcock-to-tank o-rings, battery, oil filter, and fluids, but otherwise it's original. It is missing the two battery rail pieces. Previous owner pulled the battery and straps when he stored it and ended up losing them.

I honestly don't know what to ask for it. It's not cosmetically perfect like museum quality, but I don't know if I've seen another as original.

Comment

Trying to upload more photos, but kinda struggling with the site a bit. Will put up a video, too if I can figure it out.

Comment

Looks great Charka. Nice job!

Bob's Bikes:
            79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
            https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
            https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
            "
            Project XS11"
            "Rucksack Grunt"
            "Small Unit Leadership"
            "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
            For Sale Here.

Comment

It comes with original owners manual and service manual, too.
              Attached Files

Comment

Video of it running.
                https://youtu.be/VHyxpz3YS6E?si=gqmkFI4ONzemiyeO

Comment

Bike runs and rides very well. It's cold blooded... but it has been cold here recently. Runs perfect when warm. Starts easy hot or cold, pulls clean through all rpms, and idles nicely. Clutch is butter smooth; I cleaned and lubed the lever/pivot and cable. Suspension and brakes all feel great aside from a very slight pulse in the rear brake. All electronics and lights work. Tools are in the tool box, i was told they've never been out, so I didn't touch them.

I replaced the four float seat o-rings, the two petcock-to-tank o-rings, battery, oil filter, and fluids, but otherwise it's original. It is missing the two battery rail pieces. Previous owner pulled the battery and straps when he stored it and ended up losing them.

I honestly don't know what to ask for it. It's not cosmetically perfect like museum quality, but I don't know if I've seen another as original.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20211031_153509.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	876123

a picture of mine that I bought brand new in 1980. You will simply have to ask what you think is fair and go from there. I will never sell mine. My kids remember it as toddlers and would never let me sell it.

81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

This might be a good starting price point based on what this comparable Midnight sold for last summer:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ght-special-2/
                    Bob's Bikes:
                    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                    "
                    Project XS11"
                    "Rucksack Grunt"
                    "Small Unit Leadership"
                    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                    For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger_xs1100 View Post

This might be a good starting price point based on what this comparable Midnight sold for last summer:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ght-special-2/
                      Wow... might be some hope yet. Looks like that auction started out very low and just went up from there. I haven't seen too many sell for that much. The last one like that was on Ebay a few years ago and I believe it sold for $5000.00. What it amounts to is finding the right buyer. I believe the bike is worth every penny but it is still in the eyes of the buyer not the seller. You can ask whatever you want and maybe the right buyer will come along and buy it. The bike that was on this particular auction was obviously the 1981 LH model, which is worth a small amount more then the LGs. I believe that most book values them at around 500 more. One other thing on this auction after reading the rules on that site, the buyer had to pay that site 5% on top of the sales price. The final price to the buyer was $7350.00. I hope you get every dime you ask for it. I have three. The original I bought new as well as another LG and an LH as you can see in my signature. Only my LG is near mint. The other two are very nice mind you but no where near mint. The one on this auction was not mint conditon either. It had small paint flaws and still commanded a very good price. Good luck.
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

Bikes value is what someone is willing to pay. I had a new bike that I could not afford to keep and went through a lot trying to sell it. Finally one day, someone who was looking for the same bike had the money to buy new and gave me $8000.00 for it. I only lost $400.00 on the deal.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        xschop K & N air filter setup
                        Dynojet Recalibration kit
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Why is the inspection sticker on the paint finish on the rear fender? May be a concern as removing it may damage the paint. I restored one I picked up in Missouri and they put their inspection stickers on the front fork. When I removed it paint came off with it. I ended up painting the whole bike anyway.
                          Last edited by cajun31; 12-06-2023, 09:45 PM.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

The sticker is how PA used to do it. I typically leave them on bikes like this... you can clearly see when it was parked. Im sure if it's pulled the paint would be faded around it.

The $7k that 81 got would be nice. Hard to believe what they bring on BAT... this 1980 brought over $11k. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-yamaha-xs1100/

Comment

The sticker is how PA used to do it. I typically leave them on bikes like this... you can clearly see when it was parked. Im sure if it's pulled the paint would be faded around it.

The $7k that 81 got would be nice. Hard to believe what they bring on BAT... this 1980 brought over $11k. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-yamaha-xs1100/
                              The added pinstriping on that bike although done nicely is a drawback for me. Like I said earlier, your bike is going to be what the buyer is willing to pay. To me your bike is nicer than the one that sold for so much on BAT. Prices for everything used is currently at minimum 38% more then they were pre pandemic. So... moral of the story is find the right buyer.
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X