• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, to dream......MNS all night.

Here is a sweet looking MNS.

https://www.smartcycleguide.com/L52518857

Bax
    80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

There was one on ebay for 5k starting bid, 8k buy it now. I think it was in Florida. I don't see it there, hoped someone here bought it
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Back in Sep-Oct a guy pulled one out of a barn and had it on FB site. Would have tried to grab it if not for this COVID mess. ---Bax.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	861242 Bax.... I drove up to Missouri and got that barn find. Gave the guy $500.00 for it. I am in the process of getting it going. Pulled the carbs off of one of my runners today and put it on that bike. Changed all the fluids and cranked her up. Runs great with no smoke. The bike only had 5375 original miles on it. I was able to talk to the last two owners of the bike and got a good history on it. Basically bought not ridden, sold and not ridden and sold a third time and rode very little. It is my current winter project. He didn't have a key for it and no side covers. Carbs were lacking but I am trying to put a good set together for it. Kurt helped me out with that by selling me a set of his. I also have acquired two keys. Things are coming along.
        Last edited by cajun31; 11-21-2020, 02:56 AM.
        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
        Jim

Comment

I don't believe the one on Ebay sold. I could be wrong. He or she listed it 3 or 4 times and ended the last listing before it ended so it is possible that someone made an offer and it was accepted. Would love to know if someone on here bought it. it is a beauty. But I am obviously biased.Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1602.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	861225
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          Jim

Comment

Cajun, Great news, barn find going to good home. I prompted the guy on FB to join and post on here hoping it would go to a member. Never saw any activity from him but I'm glad that it made it to the .club!

I seem to think the pic of the bike from the ebay post above seems familiar to me but I don't remember seeing it listed. I typically don't ebay much so it maybe from somewhere else.

Another miss......
            Kaplan cycles, NEMM, in Rockport, CT got one in some time ago, needed a few items but in good shape to get back to mint condition. https://youtu.be/uFveO52GNFU

I'm starting to think the MNSs choose their owners.

---Bax

Comment

I usually just look for XS models. Found this one by chance on NEMM site, very tempting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Yamaha...0AAOSwgutftZF5

Comment

Is that 650? I don't see cc in the description
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

Watching the video, Kaplan refers to it as the big bore 4 cylinder and I see 4 exhaust pipes so I'd think it's >1100

---Bax

Comment

The vin, short a few sequence characters, has 22R code. Seems like standard XJ 750 code.

Bax

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                      Is that 650? I don't see cc in the description
                      Yamaha never made an XJ Midnight Maxim in the 1100 only 650-750.
                      Got a 750 in the stable, here's a pic:

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

VIN listed, partial. JYA22R009DA1034??

22R code does not fit advertised MNM model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3891.PNG
Views:	249
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	861251

Comment

Yep... 650 or 750. The midnight maxim was Yamaha's knee jerk solution to the Harley plea for the government to make things more fair ... or should we say more fair to them. The crotch rockets were driving them out of business so the government put tariffs on anything being imported larger then 750 CC's. Voila the midnight maxim was born. Nice bikes in their own rights. I know they kept making the 1100s too. You just had to pay a bit more for them. These bikes were also in my opinion Yamahas solution to the Kawasaki in line 4 that was being sold from the late 70s into the 80s. I had purchased an XS650 new in 78 for like 1800.00 and right after making the purchase I walked into a Kawasaki shop and they had their inline 4 for I think in the neighborhood of 2200.00. A buddy of mine bought one and when we would ride he smoked me with his inline 4. Of course the moral of that story was two years later I traded the 650 in on my bought new 80LG. The smoking immediately reversed in my favor. BAX the picture of the ebay MNS I posted above was or is the one that Dpotter mentioned that was listed from Florida. I downloaded all of the pictures of it from ebay. It is truly a beautiful bike. Just saw your post above as I was finishing this post. You notice the the xj1100 midnights were sold in Canada. Because to the tariffs I suppose.
                          Last edited by cajun31; 11-21-2020, 10:57 AM.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

[QUOTE=Bax;n861250]VIN listed, partial. JYA22R009DA1034??

22R code does not fit advertised MNM model.

It does on my bike, my vin is JYA22R001DA102***

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Guessing the VIN decoder listing on XJBIKES.com may contain errors.

---Bax

Comment

Working...
                              X