Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Bike $$$ Question

Hey Folks,

Locally on craigslist a guy has an ad for Two xs11 specials. A '79 with a full fairing(not sure of type or if it is OEM) and an '80 Midnight Special.

They look pretty rough from the pics, in a dirt floor shed. They look to be modified, '79 has a solo bobber saddle, the midnight has no tank,seat that I can see. No titles. He says one of them ran 8 yrs ago, the other ?????.

He's asking $400.00 . Thoughts? And of course I haven't seen them in person yet and that can change a lot.

What say you?

Joe v https://southjersey.craigslist.org/m...130183522.html
    Last edited by JustJoeV; 05-28-2020, 11:02 AM. Reason: adding a web site
    78 E

I bought two bikes with no titles in Georgia for $400. One for $300 and $100 for the other. Both low miles. Both pretty much junk. If you have room, it's cheaper than buying parts. If the seller is short on space, that will help you negotiate. The reality is, he should probably pay you to haul them off.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

$200 or walk..basically its all junk..parts are 40 years old..not worth it IMO..I wouldnt even be interested...YMMV
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Joe,

It really comes down to what it is worth to any perspective buyer. I see $400 there if I had the space and had a project -or- wanted to see what I could make usable. Certainly there are some very salvageable parts that could be cleaned up to be usable. So it depends on your motivation. If somebody buys this guys stuff be it for $300 or $400 and it just gets moved to another barn with no plan then it is just moving clutter & junk to another spot.

$400 isn't all that much so if you are game go get it then putz around with your purchase, and have some fun too. Certainly makes a good story and fodder for some good posts.

Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Thanks Fellows!

As usual ,good info. AND a lot to think about now. I really don't have the space ,so the $400 could turn into Thousands for another shed. I don't want to end up on the TV show hoarders LOL!
          78 E

Comment

You actually have to TELL people how many you have before you could potentially end up on an episode. The answer to this conundrum is to NEVER divulge how many bikes you have! Whats another storage building in the grand scheme of things? Just my two cents worth. TMB

Comment

I once asked 2manybikes how many bikes he had......he wouldn't say.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

2manybikes, I like how you think!
                78 E

Comment

some is good...more is better...too many is just right.
                  fly

Comment

Parts Bike Update

Welllllllll,

I waited too long. Called the fellow today and they are sold! So much for that. I guess it was not meant to be. I figured I'd wait a few days for the owner to get antsy so I could get them for less. Lesson? I out smarted myself! LOL.
                    78 E

Comment

Originally posted by JustJoeV View Post
                      Welllllllll,

I waited too long. Called the fellow today and they are sold! So much for that. I guess it was not meant to be. I figured I'd wait a few days for the owner to get antsy so I could get them for less. Lesson? I out smarted myself! LOL.
                      They come up all the time for cheap. There aren't many who can handle keeping one of these alive. Have patience.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Working...
                      X