1981 Venturer in Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Venturer in Colorado

Does this bike..ad look familiar?..something about this ad..Like i have seen it before...still tugging at the heartstrings...
    https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...656509657.html
    Last edited by madmax-im; 07-30-2018, 04:48 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

What a beautiful bike! Soon, I'll be looking into something for longer distances, but I have not made my mind up on what appeals to me.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Realistically Ian..any bike that is this old needs to be torn down completely and every system should be gone through before rebuilding and expecting it to be a LD touring bike...anything less than that is asking for trouble IMO...And even so there will still be issues to deal with...
      They are beautiful bikes..and i have never owned a Venturer...Just always admired these bikes...
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
        Does this bike..ad look familiar?..something about this ad..Like i have seen it before...still tugging at the heartstrings...
        https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...656509657.html
        Ben, that bike pic. I'm sure gives you memories of my Venturer, which BTW I still own(bought new.). I'm also sure you have that pic. of my Venturer I posted here many yrs. ago. Feel free to post it here if you like.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Brant...I look at that pic of your Venturer quite a bit..This one is for sale and @ 2000 bucks that's steal...But as is always the case...timing has never been there...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
            Brant...I look at that pic of your Venturer quite a bit..This one is for sale and @ 2000 bucks that's steal...But as is always the case...timing has never been there...
            Well Ben...….just gonna have to 'advance' that timing a bit my friend, and then, wait for it...…...wait for it...…..you know the rest.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yep, problem with those 81's is you can't advance the timing for a little more pep off the line.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Yep, problem with those 81's is you can't advance the timing for a little more pep off the line.
                Pretty much true Phil......cept for my Venturer. Even being a 4RO version, it came new still having adjustable timing with all the advance and retard markings on outer plate.

Comment

You're lucky Brant, you have one with a slotted timing base I presume.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

You're lucky Brant, you have one with a slotted timing base I presume.
                    I think he's mixed up the outer timing wheel with the base plate. It was a few years ago but I'm almost certain that the cast housing was drilled, not slotted, when we worked on it.

ht tps: // www. partzilla. com/ catalog/ yamaha/ motorcycle/ 1981/ xs1100h/ pickup-coil-governor

1981 XS1100H PICKUP COIL GOVERNOR

-- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Yep Scott, that base plate could be machined to have slots I suppose. It really helps to have an extra 8 degrees of advance for snappy throttle response. I've slotted an XJ plate before which is very easy, it helped tremendously.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 08-02-2018, 12:53 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

The '81 XS1100 would be harder to do. The casting is kind of thick to drill, mill, cut, or whatever to make slots, it would be easier and cleaner to get a used base that already has slots and swap it in.

I made slots in the plate for my XJ, too, it works great to add a little base timing but too much messes with the electronic RPM and load/vacuum advance curves stored in the 10M's TCI. I have not checked the actual degrees for max RPM and vacuum advance on my XJ11, they're shown as acceptable ranges on the graphs in the service manual but the XJ's timing wheel has no numbers on it.
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

On the XJ at 6K with no load, I read almost 70 deg. advance with my adjustable timing light. It's a HF unit so it may not be 100% accurate. No detonation AFAIK.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

On the XJ at 6K with no load, I read almost 70 deg. advance with my adjustable timing light. It's a HF unit so it may not be 100% accurate. No detonation AFAIK.
                            That's weird. Harbor Freight should be good enough but the XS11s are in the low 50s all-in, RPM and vacuum advance.

70 seems really high... you do realize of course that now I'm going to have to put an XS timing wheel on my XJ or bust out the degree wheel and see how it's doing. It's not happening this weekend but I'll have to do it when get back home.

Oh well, I've been wondering how the boost sensor works anyway, if it's a limited, stepped, advance or if it's linear with the vacuum.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              you do realize of course that now I'm going to have to put an XS timing wheel on my XJ or bust out the degree wheel and see how it's doing. It's not happening this weekend but I'll have to do it when get back home.

Oh well, I've been wondering how the boost sensor works anyway, if it's a limited, stepped, advance or if it's linear with the vacuum.
                              Awesome Scott, let me know what you find when you get a round tuit.

Sorry fellas for the Hi-jack.
                              Last edited by bikerphil; 08-03-2018, 10:25 AM.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X