Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS11 Turbo FS

Hey all,

As much as it breaks my heart, it is finally time to let go of my 1978 Yamaha American Turbo-Pack XS11 race-road-trophy bike. It has been discussed a few times over the years here on XS11.com, and is been under my care for most of the last 39 years.

It has a long and colorful story, and notable racing history. It goes something like this:

In 1978 while working as a mechanic at Cycle Springs Yamaha in Tarpon Springs Florida, a customer bought it new and set it up for touring; he dressed it with every option you could get - full Calafia fairing with lowers and a CycleSound, hard bags with tour pack and chrome bumper rails, backrest, king queen seat, crash bars, you name it. He spent a fortune. After a careful break-in and 1000 mile service, he promptly put it in the ditch; it barrel rolled, and completely destroyed all those nifty goodies. The wreck looked like a disaster.

We did the insurance estimate, and the accessories alone totaled it out. The customer scared himself and didn't want it, and the boss never looked at it too closely and just saw a brutal crash job, and no one wanted to buy it for salvage, so I did; for $500! The bike didn't hit anything solid, and merely went for a good tumble down an embankment - the forks weren't even bent.

The touring accessories took all the damage, and actually protected the naked bike quite well. The bars were bent, the tank had a couple shallow dents, and the front fender was crunched, but that was about it. I fixed the tank, repainted the bodywork, put on a set of low bars, and ended up with a super nice 1500 mile XS11 that wasn't even a year old for under $1K!

It was used as a commuter and weekend tourer (that king queen was quite comfortable), and 4 years and 25,000 miles later it was converted to a road-race bike. There are lots of race tracks and race organizations in Florida and Georgia, and I had been racing in the area starting in the late 70's on RD400's and SR500's very actively at Moroso in West Palm Beach, Gainsville, Sebring, Dade City, Roebling Road in Savannah, Road Atlanta, and Daytona. RD's and thumpers dominated their classes, but at Daytona, they were simply not fast enough to actually use the high-bank. And I wanted to see what actually using the high-bank was like; enter the Eleven.

The XS got a Kerker, velocity stacks, sticky tires, café bars, fork brace, steering dampener, a pair of YZ80 mono-shocks, and an XR750 style fiberglass seat. Daytona here we come! At the time, it was one of the faster four strokes out there, and would climb the banking like the big boys do. It tripped the on-track radar between 140 and 145 reliably, and only a couple other machines could stay with it flat out. It did quite well, especially with those 1 mile+ straightaways.

On July 4th 1985, we entered the Paul Revere 250 Mile Night Endurance Race at Daytona; the first endurance race ever run at Daytona after dark. Here is a YouTube/MotoWorld vid from that event:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW60SLtuUx0
    I started in position #26 in row seven, but its dark, so you will have to take my word for it. Well it was a cool night (for Florida), and the XS was running great! we had to run at least 2 riders with a required pit-stop, and I went out first.

On lap 97, running a solid 11th out of a field of 80 bikes, the old girl gave up; going WFO on the tri-oval banking with the speedo hovering just above 140, the motor locked up tight. Actually, 5th wheel-gear seized on the mainshaft and the transmission locked up, and broke the engine case taking the rest of the motor with it. As soon as the longest skid mark I ever left started (the one on the track, not the one in my leathers), I grabbed a hand full of clutch thinking I could coast to a stop, but the gearbox is directly connected to the driveshaft, so the 140mph skid was just beginning. Amazingly I didn't fall down, but held the 1/2 sideways slide until the bike stopped - in the middle of the entrance to turn #1, in the dark.

Now that was frightening! The rear wheel was still locked tight so I couldn't push the bike to the side of the track, and without lights on my body, running across the track while 60+ bikes were roaring past would have turned me into road pizza, so I had to wait for the corner crew to get enough people together to carry the bike off the track; it took 6 of us! Miraculously, no one was injured or killed, except the bike and my pride...

After assessing the damage, the motor was deemed destined to becoming Budweiser cans. The whole deal was a little disheartening, so the Eleven spent the next couple years in the corner, never to road race again. In the meantime, another customer, Jeffery Turbo, decided to sell his ATP equipped '79 Standard dedicated drag bike to buy some new diving equipment, so the first piece to the puzzle came home. Also that summer another XS11, an '80 Midnight Special, totaled wreck came in; the 10K mile motor from that bike came home shortly thereafter.

I pulled the Midnight top end to lap the valves and install a couple extra base gaskets to drop the compression, and the ATP drag-bike turbocharger had a new home in the old race bike. I never road raced it again, but couldn't help but take it to the digs on occasion. Without a wheelie bar, it would run in the 9's all day. It was street legal too, so I racked up another few thousand rounds terrorizing the local freeways before offing it.

I traded it to a guy for a Pontiac LeMans with a 500 cu. in. tricked-up Caddy motor; it was fun! I did miss the Eleven though, and about 10 years later I was flipping through the local Cycle Trader, and there the old beast was just as I sold it. The guy I traded it to was already in his 70's at the time (a true wild man), and sadly he died; his son was selling it to clean out his dad's garage. I hauled it home (again) shortly thereafter, and have owned it ever since.

The guy who died rode it about 4K miles while he had it, and when I got it back it ran well, but the turbo smoked. I pulled the RaJay F40 off about 10 years ago, and found a loose turbine bearing causing the smoking. Its a $35 bearing, but I never got around to buying one, and the bike has been little more than a 600 pound race trophy ever since.

It is still 100% complete and resurrectable, but will need plenty of attention to bring everything back to life. There is a partial parts bike to go with it, and several boxes of spares, gaskets, seals, instruments, electrics and hydraulics too; at least 1/2 a ton worth all together. I want $3500 for everything. Bring a truck. Guaranteed that after your first ride, you will be as happy as a puppy with two tails you bought it =). And just maybe, it'll make it back to me again - but please don't die.

PM, call or eMail Warren; 479-304-1216 (land line - no texts, sorry), or war_bar@hotmail.com. The bike is in Fayetteville Arkansas about 100 miles East of Tulsa.

Cheers,
    Warren
    Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

That has to be the greatest ad i have ever read.. Great history Warren...sorry you have to let it go...GLWS
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Here she be!

I pulled the Turbo apart before bolting it back on, and found the bearing to be fine. The problem was 3 individual issues: The exhaust side of the housing needed de-carboned (I set it up rich), the impeller had excessive side-play and required a re-shim, and the rubber oil seal behind the turbine was leaking. I cleaned the carbon and shimmed the fan, but did not have a seal on hand (probably a common size), so put it back together as is. The fan now spins freely and needs no further attention, but it does need an exhaust side seal.

The turbo system could sure use the rubber parts renewed (there are 2 gaskets and 2 seals), and the Zenith pumper carb needs rebuilt. I squirted gas down the intake and it fired right up. Compression is good, and there were no nasty engine noises. The gas is bad, but if the tank was flushed and the fuel system cleaned, it would likely run fine. BTW, when I married in the Midnight motor, I put the kickstart mechanism in. The kicker is mounted in the appropriate location under the battery.

Warren
      Last edited by Yamanatic; 03-22-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I'm in love!!!
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Hey guys and gals, I think this is a better deal than it seems. Here is a picture of just some of the parts; there are new intake boots, NOS petcocks, cables, hydraulic lines, many gaskets, new valve seals, a kit of the special nuts, bolts, screws and washers, carb parts, cam chain tensioners, Standard headlight ears with signal perches, headlight, oil filters, even a couple cans of Macho Maroon spray paint plus lots more.

How about $2800 for the lot including the yellow bike (with clean title) and the parts bike, or $800 for everything except the turbo? All the bike needs is a couple carb parts (a bank of carbs is included but missing the cap and some screws), a battery and an exhaust. I think there is also a CDI box and pick-up coils, a 160mph speedo/tach assembly, wiring harness, and another couple crates of doo-dads and used goodies.

S

If no one here is interested, the works is going out to the vultures on eBay in one lot. Wouldn't this be a great weekend for a road trip? I'm 100 miles East of Tulsa. Smoking deal!

Warren

Comment

Hey Warren,
            While not in the market for such a beast.
            It's a Frankenbike with the greatest provenance ever
            I hope some one takes the package and does something with it.
            A couple of weeks ago there was some one looking for info on Turbo charging the 11 so I hope he sees this.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Can you tell me a little more about what's been done to the race bike? I see what looks like an aftermarket oil cooler, lightweight rotors, upgraded (or just painted) front calipers, and? anything else done to it?

any paper trail/evidence that you raced that particular bike before?
              2005 YZF-R1
              2002 XV1700 Warrior
              1981 XS1100H

Comment

Hi Outlaw,

It would be easier to list the items that have not been changed, modified, or upgraded! Very little of the original bike remains. When you come by to pick up the Eleven, I will gladly show you the pictures, trophies, grid sheets, and broken, twisted and crashed-up parts and scars from back then. It was raced with AAMRR, WERA, AND FGPRA as #816se in Unlimited Superbike (the s.e. stands for South East region, I lived in Florida at the time).

I still race with WERA and do track days when the body and weather agree, on a TZ750:

A KTM 625 SMC Supermoto:

And keep a few back-ups on hand in case something breaks:

Back in the late 70's and early 80's there were no digital cameras, GoPro's, or YouTube, so most racing memorabilia is hard-copy or public domain only, and being a poor broke privateer, all extra cash went to keeping the racers on the track rather than building a legacy. I did win an AMA Amateur National Number Plate in 1983 (#5) in Lightweight Superbike on an SR500 with a Hyper Kinetics 650cc stroker kit and Dick Mann frame, but nothing impressive on the Eleven - its tough to win against deep pockets and riders on Factory bikes, which is what I was up against. I can say that I've had the honor of getting my butt wiped by the likes of King Kenny, Gary Nixon, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, and a host of others though. To me it was a big accomplishment to not get lapped by those maniacs!

Cheers,
                Warren

P.S. The Eleven was only road raced with carbs since rules didn't allow for turbo or supercharging. There are many passes down the 1/4 mile since with the turbo installed though =) Also, I would sell just the ATP Kit for $2k; I still have enough parts (except an exhaust system and some rubber bits) to bring the Eleven back to life - it wouldn't break my heart to ride it again!

Comment

Oops, forgot (they say the mind is the second thing to go), there are a bunch more pictures on Craigslist showing the details more clearly:

http://fayar.craigslist.org/mcy/6061531453.html

ww

Comment

Definitely been awhile Yamanatic! Glad to see you posting again!
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Motoman,

Good to be back - thanks for the message! I'm sorry for getting sidetracked, but those other durn vintage Yamaha 2-strokers are very demanding. There aren't many Eleveneers here in Arkansas; I miss the many more up in the Wisconsin 5 State area.

One more move on the horizon; to beautiful Sun City Arizona for our final and full retirement. The community we are moving to has the most awesome machine and paint shop for us fossils, so maybe another Eleven (or some Yamaha for sure) will find itself tricked up a bit. Lots of good race tracks and enthusiasts in the area too.

That's the biggest reason the Turbo and the rest of the parts are up for sale, the new digs will only hold about a dozen bikes and a tool box if no 4-wheelers get parked inside. If you get near Arkansas sooner or Arizona later, drop me a note and we can meet up to discuss the finer points of the mighty Elevens!

Regards,
                      Warren

Comment

Originally posted by Yamanatic View Post
                        Hey Motoman,

Good to be back - thanks for the message! I'm sorry for getting sidetracked, but those other durn vintage Yamaha 2-strokers are very demanding. There aren't many Eleveneers here in Arkansas; I miss the many more up in the Wisconsin 5 State area.

One more move on the horizon; to beautiful Sun City Arizona for our final and full retirement. The community we are moving to has the most awesome machine and paint shop for us fossils, so maybe another Eleven (or some Yamaha for sure) will find itself tricked up a bit. Lots of good race tracks and enthusiasts in the area too.

That's the biggest reason the Turbo and the rest of the parts are up for sale, the new digs will only hold about a dozen bikes and a tool box if no 4-wheelers get parked inside. If you get near Arkansas sooner or Arizona later, drop me a note and we can meet up to discuss the finer points of the mighty Elevens!

Regards,
                        Warren
                        I'll take the 'Arizona later' option. Familiar with the area you mention, and yes, a lot of way cool professional machine shops and professional paint busineses close to Sun City......Phoenix and Tuscon.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey outlaw,

Actually, I was referring to the Machine Shop and Paint Booth within Sun City itself. It has been supplied and is maintained by resident retired machinists, painters, and craftsmen; you know, the old guys who really know what they are doing and are meticulous to a fault.

The shop in S.C. has a surface grinder & mill, a nice Atlas engine lathe, a precision lathe, a turret lathe, a Bridgeport, bar folders, pipe benders, shears, wire, arc and gas welders, you name it; the paint booth is to die for (not in).

I have a mill/lathe combo at home, but it is going up for sale; it doesn't hold a candle to what the shop in S.C. has. That, and its too hard to find commercial 'professionals' who produce up to standard, and production shop machinists mostly have no clue about these vintage bikes or what builders expect. There is something about hand building - no CAD/CAM (OK, the Bridgeport is newer and has a 3.5 floppy drive I think), heroic electronics other than the drive motors, 3D renderings, or bosses breathing down your neck who puts profit over quality. Yea, I'm old school, but have a love for building stuff myself, and no one is taking that away except maybe the undertaker =0.

Maybe I'll donate an aluminum furnace with what my home equipment sells for. That is about all the S.C. machine shop needs, except a new member!

Cheers,
                          Warren

Comment

Warren, I remember this bike on Ebay. It is my dream XS11. So cool, so 80's. I love it! Hope it found a good home. Would like to Turbo my 79SF someday. Just got it home and starting to get it revived. Nothing sounds like a turbo'd bike engine. Have a good one! Steve
                            81 XS1100 Venturer
                            79 XS1100SF
                            78 XS650
                            77 XS750 triple
                            81 ZV750 cafe
                            75 CB550 cafe
                            74 CB350 Four
                            71 enduro 100
                            81 CB900C
                            79 Cm185T
                            Too much other stuff to list!!!

Comment

Hey Steve,
                              The bike went to a reasonably local, just a few towns over, buyer. He wanted it to ride, and ride it did!
                              Now's a good time to score an ATP if you can find one; luckily they're only valuable if bolted to a Z1R. I like the RaJay - solid built and a nice fat howl =)

ww

Comment

Working...
                              X