Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking at an XJ11 - What to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking at an XJ11 - What to look for?

Hi everyone. This is my first post in the forums and I'm so sorry if it's a duplicate but my search revealed about 7 katrillion results. Of which, none in the first 4 pages of results were relevant. I tried.

Well I'm looking to trade my old '02 Monte Carlo for an '82 XJ11. It has less than 20k miles and my understanding is that it's almost totally original, save for the aftermarket LED tail lights. He sent me some pictures but he's a bit technically challenged and him and his ol' buddy had a really hard time trying to figure out how to text pictures and then when they figured it out, they were awful quality anyway. LOL! Poor guys.

My question isn't one of value in the trade, but I want to know what to look for as far as problems that would be common. I'll be making this my primary transportation when it's just me, so I want to try to avoid walking into a bad deal and not knowing what some of the common things to look for are.

I've been riding for most of my life, but I haven't for about 8 years and I've never ridden a Yamaha and of course, each model has it's own quirks.

Thoughts from you veterans of the Yamaha?
    '82 XJ11

Originally posted by ganjedi View Post
    Hi everyone.
    <group> Hi, ganjedi! </group>

Thoughts from you veterans of the Yamaha?
    Really? A 2002 for a 1982, eh?
    First of all make sure that XJ11 really has only 20,000 miles and hasn't been clocked to a 120,000 mile XJ. These machines can do it and will look good afterward.

Next, read the FAQ and the 'Neglected XS' article. There should be a "What to look for on a neglected XJ1100" article to cover the differences between the XS11 and the XJ11 but I don't believe there is one, yet. Maybe you could do it? I guarantee you'll be able write it after you get your new XJ11 checked out and up to snuff!

There are some differences on the XJ, like making sure the computerized dashboard works and all of the gauges and lights are alright.

Unless the owner bought a battery for the XJ with a sensor well in it or the battery warning light sensor has been modified then it'll try to warn you that the battery electrolyte level is low.

Make sure all of the Start/Sidestand/Clutch/Neutral safety interlocks aren't FUBAR and that you can start and ride the bike. If it doesn't start and run without blowing any smoke I wouldn't trade a '02 anything for it.

The Used Bike FAQ
    by Chris BeHanna,
    edited by JP Honeywell

What to look for on a neglected XS1100
    by Gary Granger, updated by T.C.

Welcome to the forum and have fun!

-- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

What Scott said.
      And if I may add my own advice, do not expect to ride every where if the XS is your only mode, and you are new to the model. There are only a few on the forum who can repair ANY glitch in a rest area parking lot, in the middle of the night, in pouring rain, using a lighter for illumination, and until you gain that level of expertise, I would advise that the XS be your back up transportation.
      Oh, yeah, in the 10 below and 40 MPH Nebraska blizzard, you might want a cage.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
        What Scott said.
        And if I may add my own advice, do not expect to ride every where if the XS is your only mode, and you are new to the model. There are only a few on the forum who can repair ANY glitch in a rest area parking lot, in the middle of the night, in pouring rain, using a lighter for illumination, and until you gain that level of expertise, I would advise that the XS be your back up transportation.
        Oh, yeah, in the 10 below and 40 MPH Nebraska blizzard, you might want a cage.

CZ
        So it sounds like this bike is pretty unreliable? I'm going to have to ride home with it and that's about 140 miles.
        '82 XJ11

Comment

So it sounds like this bike is pretty unreliable? I'm going to have to ride home with it and that's about 140 miles.
          It's mechanical. Not sure there is any machine, whether a blender or a motorcycle that is 100% reliable. I'd consider my XS just as reliable as my modern sport bikes. AND, I get more looks for my XS
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I wouldn't say unreliable, make sure the sellers pass a smell test as to why they are selling it and some past history. 140 miles is nothing if its been taken care of. Test ride it and go with your gut. they are great bikes. Even if there are minor issues you can always trailer it and trouble shoot when you get it home.
            81 H

Comment

These are extremely reliable machines. They're also 35 years old. You're getting someone else's bike. Has it been service iaw the owner's manual since 1982? I highly doubt it. Just be prepared to go through and service everything. Then, be prepared for the occasional glitch or breakdown.

3phase rode an XS1100 from California to XS Southeast! I just returned from XS East with mine, and that trip was over 2700 miles. The only problem I encountered was stripped screws holding the lock to the fuel cap. The last Iron Butt had an XS1100 in the competition and it completed 12,000 miles in 10 days! Unreliable? Hardly. You're just going to have to get it whipped into shape.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Only 140 miles? What are you going to do for the rest of the morning?

Nah, these bikes are extremely reliable, except when they're not, but you should have some tools and at least a vague idea of what went wrong and how to fix it so you don't have to sit by the side of the road, waving a lace hanky and hollering, "Yoo hoo!" :roll:

Marty, I was shooting for XSSE again this year but 'stuff' happens. Maybe next year. Hopefully I can get my shirt, shorts and socks stacked and make the Colorado rally or the Cali Rally if we have one this year. A trip back East to see Dad in Kentucky would be a hoot too.

-- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Very good to hear from all of you. Thanks for your replies.

Well, I'll tell you what happened:
                  (wavy lines and TV flashboack goes here)

I got out there and was trying to remember what I saw in the neglected thread and keeping in mind the first 2 replies to this thread. The bike isn't immaculate, but it IS in good shape. I don't like that the headers (I think that's what the part is called) are painted black, but I think I can have them blasted back to normal again. A couple other small items looked like they'd need to be fixed as well, but given that the bike is older than Moses, it's in pretty good shape.
                  Yet and still, I wasn't sure about trading my Monte for it. As we hemmed and hawed for a while about it, he said he'd throw in an old '92 F150. Now at first, I heard "Ford" and immediately knew that the he just dropped his trade value even more... I mean, nevermind, Fords are good, I'm sure.
                  Kidding aside, I took that deal and drove the truck home with the bike in the back.

I'm definitely convinced that the seller is a legitimately good guy and he's on the level.

Thanks again, you guys, for taking the time to respond to my post. And a huge thanks to 3phase for the links and the advice on what to look for.

I'm brand new to the XJ11 world and I'm happy to have a place I can go for answers and discussion.

You guys stay lifted and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

*edit* Also, I wanted to mention that the bike was cold when I arrived and it fired right up with no smoke or other signs of yuckiness.
                  Last edited by ganjedi; 05-30-2015, 09:33 PM. Reason: Had to add some stuff.
                  '82 XJ11

Comment

Well, I'll tell you what happened:
                    (wavy lines and TV flashboack goes here)
                    Oh, yeah! <popcorn>
                    *edit* Also, I wanted to mention that the bike was cold when I arrived and it fired right up with no smoke or other signs of yuckiness.
                    That's the important part! Right on!

I'd take the F...FFF....FORD! (There, I said it!) I hate FORD but they won the Capitalist Pig contest fair and square against some tough competition from GM and Chrysler so my next truck's probably going to be a Ford too.

-- Scott
                    _____

Comment

We'd love to see pictures to see what you got!
                      82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                      Website/Blog

Comment

ganjedi,
                        I owned one. Loved it.
                        There are differences between the XS and XJ.
                        Here's a few...
                        As Scott mentioned, the pilot box. It has several warning lights in it. Kickstand down, low battery, low oil LEVEL, (not low oil PRESSURE,) led bar graph for fuel instead of a guage...

Carbs are a bit different. Cams are different. Heads /valves...
                        By 1982, EPA mandates had been a factor in the detuning of the XS engines that went into the XJ1100. They ran ok, but don't have the zip or the "hot rod cammed up lope at idle" that the '78 & '79's had.

The XJ's have swirly wheels, a 5.1 gal. teardrop shaped gas tank, unique seat upholstery that some here have called a "tortue device forged in Hell"... (So you may want to look into a seat upgrade...) lol...

Another major difference, the XJ has electronic ignition and timing advance. This solved an issue with previous models breaking the wires on the mechanical advances. It works off via a vacuum potentiometer, under the tank that sends a voltage to the ECU, (which is also unique to the XJ.) this advances or retards the ignition timing in the ECU.

The front forks are much stronger on the XJ than previous models, too.

The mufflers are back slash cuts, unique.

Also, the XJ used rear air shocks... these are great.

The glass type fuse panels are another first on the replacement list of things to upgrade, if it hasn't already had it. TC can fix ya up with a good one.

OEM turn signal flashers work off heat. They tend to stop flashing at idle, which is a pain. The Maxim has an auto-cancel feature which is cool if you're the forgetful type. You can replace the OEM flasher with a new electronic type, but you then lose your auto-cancel.

A Maxim is a cool bike. I put over 40,000 miles on mine, and it was still running good when I sold it. I managed to actually make a small profit on mine, even after the miles and things I had upgraded. 40,000 FREE MILES... not too shabby!

One major issue they ALL have in common is electrical. With age, comes corroded connections. So first things first, read up, then be prepared to rework ALL electrical connections. This greatly helps the dependability.

Carbs are usually another thing to address, especially if the bike has been parked a while. Watch out for a PO that used ethanol gas! That ruins them!

I had installed a Dynojet kit in mine, and after trial and error with the needle setting adjustments, my fuel mileage had risen from 32 to 40. I guess I was fortunate, others have done this, but saw not increase.

Just do as others here have advised... make sure it's a solid runner first before laying down too much $$. Expect to pay as little as $500 bucks for a neglected runner, or $2500 for a beauty that's been loved.

There are members here that have well over 100,000 miles on theirs, and they ride the heck out of them across the country. Learning how to work on them, carrying the proper tools, and a family of good, knowledgable friends that will help with parts and labor /advice if you need them is a great "warranty".

This forum has a vast amount of knowledge, and a lot of great people that will help you.

They helped me a lot with mine! And, the best part... the friends you make along the way, and the memories from your adventures. Priceless.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for ya. Yamaha built a great machine when they built the XS11 / XJ1100.
                        Bob
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Also...
                          Get yourself a Photobucket account, so you can post some pictures of your "new" bike!

We love before and after pics around here!

Cool he added the pickup to the deal!

Sounds like you have a runner on your hands! That's great.
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                          X