Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Bike

I will be parting out this 1978 "E".

Unless someone want to buy the whole bike .

Located in Connecticut

Engine free, Trans shifter broken off inside the case.

Email Don @ ( don _ rich @ sbcglobal.net )

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Donmystic1; 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM. Reason: add photos
    78E, 79F, 80G

Originally posted by Donmystic1 View Post
    Trans shifter broken off inside the case.
    That's really pretty easy to fix Don.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The big issue is a piece of paper. Are there any neighboring states that don't require it?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Neighboring state Vermont would paper it up for under $100.
        I just did one no problem Nice Bike
        82 XJ1100J
        81 Venturer
        Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoaster View Post
          Neighboring state Vermont would paper it up for under $100.
          I just did one no problem Nice Bike
          Yep yep, heres a link:

http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?...00-seca.42889/

4th post down
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            That's really pretty easy to fix Don.
            ......yup.....that short little 'bugger' is just missin' not broke.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

someone should rescue this bike from being further neglected...I'm shocked you would just leave it out to the CT winter An easy fix and yet you just give up on it...thats a real shame
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

If someone else had it out in the snow, Don is not doing the bike anymore harm. He's offering the bike to whomever would like it whole, or a piece of it. Bike looks good, and has nice pieces. He could make a nice chunk off that bike. No shame done to it if the bike lives-on . . .
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Parts Bike

It is warm and dry in my shop now.
                  Took the shift lever case off and that spindle is missing but I can shift it ok.

Next drain the oil and see if the engine turns over. Kick starter not so good so I have to get it into 4th gear to bump it over.
                  I took the starter out and thats ok may try to jump the starter as there are no keys.

I picked it up from a sailor at the Sub base who was getting transferred.
                  78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

That's cool Don! Looks like he took care of it. I like the paint on it.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Parts bike

I found all the parts that I need to put the shifting arm back in place.
                      Had a new gasket in my pile of parts also I just need to figure out how that tension spring goes in.

I think that the engine is stuck so I filled the cylinders up with a 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone. I let it sit for a few days and try it.
                      78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

Stuck Engine

Is there a point on the bike where I can get a big wrench on the engine to try to bar it over. Is the timing nut strong enough ?
                        78E, 79F, 80G

Comment

Originally posted by Donmystic1 View Post
                          Is there a point on the bike where I can get a big wrench on the engine to try to bar it over. Is the timing nut strong enough ?
                          I'd be wary using the timing side nut, it's only a thin bolt. There is a larger bolt under the right side alternator cover that holds the rotor on, by turning it CW you will actually be turning the motor backwards. Much stronger though.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Try the nut on the right side, but don't break it.

Hydraulic pressure can be used to free it. Find the cylinder with closed valves. You should be able to figure it out by pulling the valve cover and finding the cylinder with both cam lobes pointed up. A hydraulic ram filled with oil adapted to the spark plug hole would be ideal. Most of us don't have that but we do have a grease gun. Read on:

How to make a spark plug into a "Greaseplug"

The down side to this is that you're going to be left with a big grease turd in your engine. I'd probably try to fill the cylinder with Marvel Mystery Oil, or solvent, or engine oil before applying the grease.

I witnessed this trick applied to a Chevrolet V8. A hand held grease gun broke it free when a long pull handle wouldn't.

I have a friend who restores old tractors and he using this method. Instead of a grease gun, he uses a large hydraulic hand operated ram. It works every time and is less messy than grease.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Put the bike on the center stand, engage 5th gear, and using the back wheel as a slide hammer, keep tapping it against the gears forward and back. There is enough play in the gear train that you can get a good thump. Do not use a lower gear, the ratios are against you.
                              Do not worry about breaking anything, you can't put as much force on the gears as the mighty 1100 does at full song.
                              CZ

Comment

Working...
                              X