Nice '78 in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice '78 in Florida

While I no longer own an XS11, this came up over on my Goldwing forum and it was too nice not to pass along.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/4756900873.html

I think the guy is out of his mind when it comes to price, but it is a very nice example of an early Standard. Would jump all over it if I had the space and it was about a third the price.

Currently XS-less.

That is a nice example !
    It's just plain odd to me that we think these bikes are worth so little. James has returned these to better than new and sold them for 8K U.S..
    This one has only 9K mi. on it, runs well (according to owner) should need nearly nothing but I too would not consider it for $3900, maybe $2000 tops.
    If it were say some other bike in the near year with 9K on it, say 750F, 350 four, four hundred 550 or even XS650. Have I even scratched the surface of bikes that would warrant $3900 with 9K on them.
    I think the XS11 is for the brave bunch that know what it is and how not to handle it. These just scare the you know what out of the general public.
    I step down.

Originally posted by Lucien Harpress View Post
    While I no longer own an XS11, this came up over on my Goldwing forum and it was too nice not to pass along.

I think the guy is out of his mind when it comes to price, but it is a very nice example of an early Standard. Would jump all over it if I had the space and it was about a third the price.

76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

A lot is name recognition, I think. The first model Goldwing has the same problem. GL1100s, GL1200s, and up all sell for quite good money. These ALSO look like Goldwings- big long land yachts, made for eating miles. The GL1000, though? Not so much. It's too small, more muscle bike than cruiser. As a result, they're a bit like the XS11- available for under $1500 all day long.

Heck, most people don't even know the XS1100 exists. The Goldwings and KZ1300 eventually evolved into touring machines, while the XS11 didn't. There's no real history to back-trace, so the 11 ends up in this weird place of being too old to be remembered, but not popular enough to be a classic.

Personally? I'm not complaining. I don't plan on selling any of my bikes if I can help it, and cheap horsepower is always nice.
      Currently XS-less.

Comment

Good insight !
        Funny how so many have so few miles, think it's the scary factor. Take your XS1100 out once in a while for a thrill, come back home take a shower wash your clothes and in a few weeks/months do it again. Keeps the miles low ?
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Sold

Originally posted by Lucien Harpress View Post

This bike was sold over a week ago. Not sure why the ad is still up? As I have watched these bikes over the last 4-5 years, the prices keep going up. I'm thinking that is a good thing.
          Last edited by MPittma100; 12-06-2014, 08:55 AM.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
            This bike was sold over a week ago. Not sure why the ad is still up? As I have watched these bikes over the last 4-5 years, the prices keep going up. I'm thinking that is a good thing.
            It seems that smaller bikes in good shape go for more money than larger bikes.
            Tim McNally
            79 XS Special- Needs transmission
            80 XS Special - Frozen motor
            80 XS Special - Lookin' Good
            76 CB750 Four
            2000 Nomad

Comment

Originally posted by timoteo539 View Post
              It seems that smaller bikes in good shape go for more money than larger bikes.
              It depends upon what bike. Honda CB450 is big bucks, the CB550 remains strong, as well as the XS650. Small cruiser style bikes are almost worthless. The Virago has been discovered and on the way up.

The XS1100 does not easily lend itself to chopper or cafe builders, being very large and shaft driven. It's short life was due to the limitation of the engine and basic frame design, IMHO. The FJ1100 was already in work.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                I agree but it seems those who are really cheapies dont agree with someone elses asking prices...I think the sellers price is totally justified...Kind of a juxtaposition...on the one hand we want them as cheap as possible but on the other we want to see the retail value go up...cant have it both ways???
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Prices Abroad

I wish there was an economical way to ship these bikes abroad due to their value in countries like Australia. I saw some XS11s advertised on one of the Aussie sites. The prices were amazingly high. One asking price was $9500! Other prices were a little lower but not by much.

Anyone have a big boat?
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Still a hobby.

Lets face it guys, fixing bikes and riding is still a good hobby. I restored cars for fun when I was young and until good cheap muscle cars became un-affordable. Businesses need to make real profit, parts repop people are out there to make money. Bikes like the XS are still out there in abundance and parts are still cheap. We ride and fix because it is still fun. When the price becomes a stumbling block it is no longer affordable or fun. Restoring and buying bikes is still CHEAP in comparison to other endeavors. Enjoy it while you can.
                    Vance
                    79 1100 SF Carmine Red stock
                    85 Honda v65 Magna
                    70 Yamaha HS1 90cc twin Californian Orange
                    02 Road King (retirement gift)
                    First bike-s 2-1967 Yamaha YM2C Big Bear Scramblers

Comment

Still the No. 1 reason I love motorcycles so much. Cheap horsepower.
                      Currently XS-less.

Comment

You can't

buy a cheaper thrill than nailing the throttle and popping gears on these bikes.
                        79 SF & 80 LG MNS
                        73 & 74 RD 350's
                        73 Honda CL 450
                        Graveyard - '81 XS850 Special

All of my bikes are projects, maybe one day I'll have them running.

Comment

Originally posted by vedgar View Post
                          Lets face it guys, fixing bikes and riding is still a good hobby. I restored cars for fun when I was young and until good cheap muscle cars became un-affordable. Businesses need to make real profit, parts repop people are out there to make money. Bikes like the XS are still out there in abundance and parts are still cheap. We ride and fix because it is still fun. When the price becomes a stumbling block it is no longer affordable or fun. Restoring and buying bikes is still CHEAP in comparison to other endeavors. Enjoy it while you can.
                          Vance
                          Interesting POV...and I do agree with it...just that some folks(like me) paid the full price of admission because we bought brand new and not 25 to 30 years later when you can buy bikes on the cheap...I paid close to $3600 for my 1982 XJ1100 in early 1983...It has taken nearly 30 years for the used prices to come up to original retail levels...so I for one am glad to see their values go up...YMMV
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm kind of glad these are a hidden gem and values are low. Cost me less to buy. I did mine in a cafe style and SO glad I did not go with the CB750 as my original choice. I was afraid it would be too much bike but it really is not. I'd never go back to a sub 1000cc bike again
                            Rob - 79 SF

Comment

Working...
                            X