Beautiful '80 MNS on Ebay- in SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful '80 MNS on Ebay- in SD

Very nice looker, I wonder how much this will demand... It has a reserve too...
    No affirmation.

The only thing wrong with it is it has the 0-160 speedometer. Not sure if he swapped the whole thing or opened the it and replaced the face. The seal looks tampered with like he took the glass out. The bike definitely looks like is has less than the advertised miles (25K).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Yamaha-...-/290947842177
    Last edited by WMarshy; 07-18-2013, 05:38 AM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

In looking at the pictures it's hard to believe that it has that many miles on it, the gold trimmed items, grab rail, air box and headlight trim ring look almost new. You can see a few marks here and there on the fenders and exhaust but the paint on the motor and forks looks amazing. I have a feeling that it will go for close to the buy it now price.

Comment

Lg

I think he had some parts plated ( 24 K ? ) notice there is no black line in the grab rail recess. Don't think he did any paint work as that shows a pretty well cared for but aged patina. He sure don't know how to deal with the speedo gasket. All in all very nice !
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Speedo face

Just replacing the faces will not give you a 160mph speedo. It will give you a speedo that tells you, you are going much faster than you are really going. Check the sweep angle at the different speeds on the two faces and compare.

If he changed it for show, it's a bad trick.

ExcessiveBiker

Comment

The speedo might explain the miles. Maybe he wanted the 160 and changed it with a higher mileage one.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

It is a sweet looking MNS. I think I see black int he grab rail, it is definitely there in the YAMAHA tag on the back of it.

The seal that is dorked up has nothing to do with opening the glass or case of the speedo itself. That only seals the speedo into the black chrome case. Obviously it is not the stock speedo, and therefore mileage is not accurate. But it does look otherwise unmolested and stock.

I doubt they will get the buy-it now price though. For that kind of money the buyer usually wants a full and complete, numbers matching, all original parts, show condition bike. May seem like a mundane detail that it is not the stock speedo to those of us who want a bike to ride and enjoy on the street, but to someone who is looking for a "wall hanger" Garage Queen, that is a make or break detail.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Exactly Don, Whoever changed that definitely wasn't thinking about an investment but a nice bike to ride. I would have changed it to the proper one before posting it on ebay. The owner may not even know its not original.
              Jeff
              77 XS750 2D completely stock
              79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

I put a $500 bid in on it and got an email saying the reserve was 3K but the seller was "motivated"...
                It's a nice looking bike for sure
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

It Sold

Pretty sure bike sold after the auction ended, but don't know the amount. I made the owner an offer after I saw that it did not sell. He said that he had an agreement with someone else. Told me if that arrangement fell through, he would let me know. Did not hear from him. So I am assuming that it did sell. Nice piece for sure.

MP
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike