Last chance before the junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last chance before the junkyard

Since I don't have the time, money or skill neccesary to fix this bike, I am giving this one more shot to sell before I take it to the junkyard on Saturday. If anyone on the list is interested, I'll drop the price to $400 and I'll help you load it onto a trailer
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...868201834.html
    Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

If only you were closer!!!
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Might have a potential buyer tonight. $300 cash.

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

Why would you junk it? If it is only the carbs, it would be running in a couple of hours. Not much money either. I just don't understand why you would take it to a junk yard. They wont give you anything for it, maybe 40 bucks in metal. Do you have the title? Put it out on the street and give it to someone before you take it to the junk yard. If it truly is just the carbs you would be crazy to junk it. I don't know of anyone who would not have the time or money to rebuild a set of carbs. Good luck. If you were within 100 miles of me, I would buy it.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

I understand, you feel really strong about it, however as I stated before I don't have the TIME, MONEY or SKILL to get this bike back on the road. I also don't have the patience to deal with craigslist for the most part. I do have someone coming to look at it tonight. I am not as attached to it as the dream of having a bike that runs that I don't have to wrench on. I have no interest in that, I just want to ride.

Comment

Hopefully the person coming to look will buy it. I understand wanting to ride. Any bike you get, you will eventually have to work on it. The carbs are sooooo easy to do. I wish you were close and I would come help you. The thing is, they probably just need cleaned wich is no money. I will never forget selling a Camaro when I was young because it had a blown head gasket. When I got older, I could not believe what I had done. I was like 'man sold it just cause of that". I could have fixed that car in a couple of hours now. The thing is, you will have to learn to work on them someday if you are wanting to ride. More than likely you will break down on a ride. It looks like a nice bike to me. If I had it here, we could have it running In a couple of hours if it was just carbs.
            Jeff

Comment

I can work on cars no problem, 20+ years of doing alot of my own repairs. Motorcycles are totally alien to me. I can ride them, I took the safety class/have my endorsement, but working on them is so very different from what I know. I replaced the spark plugs, the rubber boots between engine and carb and fixed/cleaned up some wiring, but I had help from friends who had some working knowledge of motorcycle mechanics.

Comment

No one is judging what you d with your stuff. I would hate to see the ole girl go to the scrap yard. Unless you just hate the thought of letting someone else have it cheap, call up one or two and see what they will give you, if the guy who comes to look offers you even $10 less, give it to him, you won't spend your time or money getting it to the scrapyard.

I can speak from having wrenched on cars most all of my life (mostly cause I am to cheap to pay anyone else to do it), and then getting into bikes just lately since I got my first XS11 in 2008, it is different. But for the most part it is MUCH simpler. Everything is so accessible compared to cars, and so many less components to screw with. Four carbs is four times the effort than one on most cars, but these are pretty simple carbs.

Like I said before, if you were only 700 miles closer...
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

No worries. I did end up selling it for $275. The motorcycle junkyard about 10 miles from my house would have given me maybe $150 since it has a title. This way I don't have to rent a trailer or give my buddy gas money or buy tie downs.

Comment

Cool man, I hope you can find a good bike to ride and someone probably got a good deal so It worked out for you both.
                    Jeff

Comment

Great, glad you got some money and she went to a good home. Hopefully the new owner will also find this site and we can watch her come back to glory under his care.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Ah damn. I didnt see this thread. I would have driven up from Sioux Falls for that.
                        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                        X