Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 XJ1100 for sale - Concord, NC - $2000

Best to reach me via email: ljasonb@gmail.com

You may be familiar with this bike since its previous owner is a long time forum contributor. He had the bike for nearly 30 years and took great care of it. Some of the experts here have turned a wrench or two on this one also. I'm the 2nd owner and I've had the bike since July 2012. It lives in my garage and I've ridden it only a few thousand miles. I'm offering it up for sale because I've added 2 more bikes to my stable and have my eye on a third. I'm nearing capacity on garage space so I'm thinning the herd in order of seniority. Clean NC title in hand. I have no delusions of grandeur regarding profit on this sale. I believe I have it fairly priced well below what I have into the bike. $2000 is firm. If it helps, I can deliver the bike to it's new owner within 8 hours of 28027 for the cost of gas there and back.

The highlights:
    • 35,000 original miles
    • Previous owner replaced transmission gears in 2008 so as to never have any slippage issues. It's been flawless for me.
    • It starts right up with a little choke and warms up quickly.
    • TKAT fork brace installed.
    • The self cancelling signals work, I think. I can't break the habit of cancelling them myself but when I pay attention they seem to go off by themselves.
    • It has a stiebel air horn that is sure to get anybody's attention.
    • Dunlops front and rear are in fine condition
    • Within the last 1500 miles I've...
    • Purchased a middle and final drive dipstick so you don't have to fiddle with a home made one.
    • Changed the engine oil twice (once was for a sea foam flush)
    • Changed middle drive oil
    • Changed final drive oil
    • Repacked the Kerker 4 into 1 with stainless steel mesh (sounds great)
    • Replaced exhaust gaskets (Spares will go with the bike)
    • Replaced the head-to-header nuts with chrome factory bits (guess I shouldn't be shocked at dealer prices)
    • With help from a fellow x-sessive I've replaced all original brake lines with stainless braided lines
    • Along with the lines switch came cleaned and rebuilt calipers, fluid replacement, and new pads all around

The lowlights:
    • Usual signs of wear for a 30 year old bike
    • Minor scratches on the tank paint (they don't show in photos. I can send more as requested.)
    • The neutral light stays on. I suspect the neutral safety switch needs replacement.
    • Engine guards have holes drilled for high way pegs. One of the pegs stripped out and I have not looked for replacements because they are not comfy for me. I added nuts and bolts to seal the holes.

Last edited by ljasonb; 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM.
    82 XJ11

Dang ol Max looks good...all that work to install the fairing...guess you put it on another bike... i've always liked it sans fairing anyways...glad to see it back to original form...Good luck with the sale...i'd buy it back but i've made another acquisition myself...cannot divulge at this time ...Just wish i never had to sell in the first place...but folks Jason is a first rate fellow and he has taken good care of the bike...you can be assured many good yrs of riding enjoyment.
    Last edited by madmax-im; 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
      .i'd buy it back but i've made another acquisition myself...cannot divulge at this time .)

Top Secret motorcycles? Really?

Come on Ben, who are you hiding it from?

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I think I'm fairly priced and, around here at least, the weather is perfect. Nobody has the itch for a prime example of Yamaha's finest?
        82 XJ11

Comment

OK guys - help me out here. I've heard nary a peep from XS/XJ fans. What's my add lacking? You think my asking price is way out of line? I'm hoping a fellow enthusiast will but this one so, it's not on craigslist or ebay - yet. Any advice?
          82 XJ11

Comment

It's a nice looking bike. Personally, I don’t think the price is out of line but recently I have seen some nice bikes not going for the asking price. I saw what appeared to be a nice MS end yesterday on flea bay for around $1,300 with around 7K miles on it. So, maybe the market just isn’t there right now.
            Put it on Craigslist and watchout for the scammers.
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

With thanks to more senior forum members for their advice I'd like to open up the sale to reasonable offers. I can't seem to edit the original post. Can anybody help there?
              82 XJ11

Comment

Originally posted by ljasonb View Post
                With thanks to more senior forum members for their advice I'd like to open up the sale to reasonable offers. I can't seem to edit the original post. Can anybody help there?
                sorry but we only get 10 mins to edit a post after that it doesnt work as you see...the folks here are great but this isnt always the easiest crowd to sell to...if i'm not mistaken i had this up forsale on CL along with this site and got responses only from CL...forget fleabay. The bike is worth what you're asking plain and simple but most folks here want it dirt cheap... so i'm not surprised by the lack of enthusiasm...still i think it will sell put it on CL as Duwayne said...GLWS
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

It is a very nice XJ. I wish mine looked nearly as good. Price seems reasonable and now is the time to list it as the riding season is getting under way.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

1982 xj

Since you cannot edit the original, just put on here what you would take and see what happens. Maybe a special price to members only?

MP
                    1981 XS1100H Venturer
                    K&N Air Filter
                    ACCT
                    Custom Paint by Deitz
                    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                    Stebel Nautilus Horn
                    EBC Front Rotors
                    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
                      Since you cannot edit the original, just put on here what you would take and see what happens. Maybe a special price to members only?

MP
                      Fair enough. How about $1,800 for a member?
                      82 XJ11

Comment

OK gang. I'm itching to sell. $1600 to a member.

Ben,
                        At that price you gotta be really tempted to bring it back home, right?
                        Last edited by ljasonb; 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM.
                        82 XJ11

Comment

Originally posted by ljasonb View Post
                          OK gang. I'm itching to sell. $1600 to a member.

Ben,
                          At that price you gotta be really tempted to bring it back home, right?
                          yes I would be tempted if I hadnt bought this one...I went to NYC to get it too...

1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Any interested buyers at $1500?
                            82 XJ11

Comment

The bike is a steal at that price. You know the whole routine...I am too far, The economy and all that. I would stick with the 1800 price and wait it out. I would interested but hey, I have 4 more projects to get thru as well as I neeeeed some riding time. Good luck with your sale!
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                              X