Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS: One of the nicest 1978 XS1100's on the planet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: One of the nicest 1978 XS1100's on the planet!

It is with a degree of trepidation I am making this post.

I am seriously thinking about selling my prized 1978 XS1100E.

It is as close to going back in time and grabbing one out of a showroom.

Less than 4,000 original miles this bike was in long term storage for many years and given everything required to make is as new.

New period-correct tires, battery, fuel tank strainers (these were over $100 alone) rubber manifolds and other misc. rubber bits that deteriorated or cracked with age. ALL Yamaha genuine parts used.

Carbs removed and completely overhauled using Yamaha parts. Petcocks and master cylinders rebuilt with Yamaha parts. New fork seals and rear diff. flush.

Work was done by the best XS1100 mechanic in Canada who said it was the nicest example he has ever seen.

No rust or corrosion. Original Pipes and headers like new with not even the slightest bluing. Seat is a 10 out of 10. Strong 2nd gear with no shifting or false neutral issues that some bikes had.

I used to sell Yamaha in 1978 and logged several thousand miles on the 78-80 1100's and this one starts, sounds, handles and feels EXACTLY like a brand new one.

I have 5 Vintage superbikes and insurance is driving me to the poor house as it's $1,600 per bike for our short riding season here in Winnipeg Canada so sadly, I may be thinning my herd a bit.

Storage is also becoming an issue. My bikes are all in heated storage under covers with carbs drained and battery on trickle tenders.

I paid a small fortune for this bike and spent considerable money doing the above-mentioned.

I would prefer to sell this to a N. American (way to many of our bikes are getting shipped to Asia) and shipping is not that difficult (I've imported 3 bikes from the US) I am not too keen on putting it on eBay either (the fees are getting outrageous) In a perfect world another Canuck (even someone from my hometown) would pick ths baby up!

If you (or anyone you know) might be interested in this 35 year old "Time Machine" please e-mail me at fox@mts.net. I'll welcome and respond to any question but no insulting offers please.

Here's a photo shoot I did last fall.

http://s220.photobucket.com/user/300...53650852906807

Wayne
    Last edited by 300kph; 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM.
    Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 MKII
    1979 Honda CBX
    1980 Suzuki GS1100E

That is one beautiful bike you have. How about posting an asking price so those of us who may be interested will not waste your time with offers you would not even consider?
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Asking price

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
      That is one beautiful bike you have. How about posting an asking price so those of us who may be interested will not waste your time with offers you would not even consider?
      I am into this bike for close to $9K and would probably sell for $8K... It also has MINT owners and shop manuals. 2 factory keys. Full unused tool kit and even has the rear wheel cable assy tucked into it's sidecover compartment. Also comes with lots of spare bulbs, oil & air filters and other NOS nick-knacks

I see people paying as much as $15,000 for Kawi 900's and MKII's, routinely over $10K for average CBX Hondas (and they made millions of those) Now, while the XS11 may not have the same mystique anyone who knows the bike knows what a master-stroke it was and howm iconic it remains. I believe this is a great investment piece and while it is museum quality it can be ridden for years without affecting its value due to the incredibly low original mileage.

W
      Last edited by 300kph; 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM.
      Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
      1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
      1979 Honda CBX
      1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

A VERY nice bike you have there. I wish you luck in your search for a buyer, but even a museum-quality Midnight Special only got less than half of what you are asking, and that was a suprisingly high price. There is also no such thing as an "investment" motorcycle. They are toys, and though the price may be retained over time, with the right TLC, they do not become "collectors items" without being actual one-of-a-kind machines.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

IMHO, I don't believe what a perfect Midnight Special can bring has any relation to what an XS1100E might bring. With patience, someone will buy that bike. If I had that problem, I think I would ship all of them to my new home where I could aford to keep all of them. Too bad it has to go.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I'd have to agree. Most purists are trying to forget the Japanese "Custom" era... The Kawasaki LTD (arguably the nicest looking of the customs) sell for less than a plain jane 900 or 1000 with spoke wheels. You cannot give away a Honda Magna or Custom and the Suzuki "L" series were an embarasment to the industry.

Yamaha has the most success with their "Special" line and I personally sold over 100 of them 650-1100... In this area HD took over that market in the mid 80's and never looked back.

A sport rider or vintage superbike enthusiast will almost always pick the street version over the "Custom" given the chance.

This 1100 was part of that big Superbike war where ever few months meant a new King of the Hill. Z1R, CBX, GS1000, XS11, GS1100

And I also think a bike can in fact be an investment. Look at what Kawi H2's and 900's sell for.... Early CB 750s or look at old British bikes.

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. To me it is just a matter of finding a buyer who has a connection with the bike or the era. I know I am not unique in my love for that period in motorcycle history.

I never had any buyers remorse. I just cant keep 'em all. And... if I don't get my price I will happily be forced to ride it some more!

W
            Last edited by 300kph; 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM.
            Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
            1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
            1979 Honda CBX
            1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

I must admit it is a well written response to the high asking price 300. That is a beautiful bike. If I had the cash I would be tempted to buy it. It would cost a small fortune to bring one back to that condition not to mention a lot of time (although that is most of the fun for me). It is the first of a series of bikes that will for sure go down in history. Thanks for the pics and the motivation to someday restore and own one as beautiful as that. Although I must also admit I would prefer the 79 special or an 80 midnight as I prefer the looks of them a bit more. Cannot argue with the stronger engine on the 78E.
              1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
              1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
              1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

I totally agree that you have one of the finest specimens of an XS1100...And while your asking price is beyond what most of us would pay...it isnt entirely unreasonable or unjustified in this case....Back in 2008 or 09 a member here sold his prized XJ1100 Maxim that he had put alot more money into than what he got back...although it did sell on ebay for ...$8000...so it is as you say...just a matter of who wants it and what they're willing to pay for it...I have no doubts you will sell it. GLWS
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Absolutely Stunning

The only thing I can see, that mayn't fetch the asking price, is the left grip is slightly twisted other than that I'm with Marty, I'd keep it
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    IMHO, I don't believe what a perfect Midnight Special can bring has any relation to what an XS1100E might bring. With patience, someone will buy that bike. If I had that problem, I think I would ship all of them to my new home where I could aford to keep all of them. Too bad it has to go.
                    I couldn't agree more. What a beautiful motorcycle.

Comment

Update

Well another riding season in its late stages with maybe a month of nice weather ahead. I only put about 500 miles on the 1100 this year but with 5 bikes on the road I don't rack 'em up like I used to.

Had a blast on it tonite and it purrs like new.

I noticed a 1978 on eBay sold for $8,300 this June or so and it was not nearly as nice as mine.

There were a few guys bidding like crazy on it and while I have avoided the temptation to list it on eBay I may well do that next year as I have just picked up a 1982 Suzuki Katana 1100 that is very good mechanically and has just needs a good clean up.

Will put some effort into that one and ride it for a while.

If anyone is interested in the XS1100 e-mail me at fox@mts.net

We can chat.

Wayne
                      Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
                      1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
                      1979 Honda CBX
                      1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                      X