Is this worth $1950?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this worth $1950?

1980 MS, at a used motorcycle dealer/junkyard, have seen the bike there before and some of the paint on the engine is chipped, but overall looks good. They will take trades, and thinking of seeing if they would take Hydra, maybe give me $500 or so for it once I get the title from the state....

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...251742726.html
    Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Maybe, if it runs perfectly. There are several things that are not original on that bike, but it's a decent attempt at a restoration. Too bad they couldn't at least put black turn signals on the back. The exhaust does look like it's in really good shape though, so that alone might keep the price up there.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Maybe 1200-1300 if it runs great. Definitely not 1950!
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I would go meet this bike in person and look it over good. A test ride would be good but understandable if they don't want you to.

That looks like a beautiful Midnight in the pics and low miles on the clock. I might pay that much if it is as represented simply because it's an MNS. But, not before trying to talk him down.

Midnights are getting scarce.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It's at least as nice as some of the ones seen on eBay, and for a lot less money. I'd take a up-close look before deciding though... photos can be deceiving.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yes it's worth it. I hate you. I miss my Midnight.
            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              Maybe, if it runs perfectly. There are several things that are not original on that bike, but it's a decent attempt at a restoration. Too bad they couldn't at least put black turn signals on the back. The exhaust does look like it's in really good shape though, so that alone might keep the price up there.
              The tail light miss match definitely should be a cause for concern. The seller is either not being totally honest or doesn't know the complete history of the bike. Either way it has been molested at some point.
              80 MNS; 80 F; 82 Maxim 650

Comment

Fair price, I think. Nowadays, everybody wants to think there is always a better deal out there. I'd like to see a better deal on one. Looks to be pretty complete, with very low miles.
                78 E

Comment

looks like the same tail light that's on my 80 LG. Turn signals ren't correct as have been pinted out. I sold one of mine a couple months ago with about 30k for $1,500. I'd look at buying it at or near that price.
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Like I said, its a dealer here in Minnesota that also has one of the biggest motorcycle junkyards I have ever heard of. So if there was something wrong with the original tail light, possible they took one off of another motorcyle in the junkyard, or the PO they got it from had swapped that out.

Anyways, not going to be buying anything this year, my fridge died, so had to go buy a new one Still trying to sell my 82 XJ w/79 XS engine.
                    Hydra'82 XJ1100 Frankenbike with a '79 engine

~dubbed "Hydra" by a friend, because "once one problem is fixed, another rears its ugly head!"

Comment

Unless the pics are really deceiving I wouldn't haggle about the price too much. Unfortunately it's 800+ miles away.
                      Previous bikes: Honda V65; 1100 Shadow
                      Yamaha V-MAX

Comment

Man, nothing from Sport Wheels is worth what they ask, nothing. I bought a parts bike for what they wanted for carb bodies that sat in the minnesota elements for 25yrs. I actually bought my first bike from them years ago, spent a fair amount of money getting it running right as I had no carb knowledge at the time. I'd find a private party sales and cut out the middle man. **** I went to college with the guy who works there and he still wanted $45 for a corroded carb body.
                        1979 XS1100 SF
                        1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                        1981 KZ650CSR
                        2006 VTX 1300C
                        1986 Radian 600

Comment

Seeing how it is a motorcycle Junkyard, I would take the Mileage on that Odometer with a grain of salt....
                          There is a possibility it just was the Speedo with the Low miles, not the bike...
                          1979 XS1100
                          Was going to be a ratbike, instead it is
                          Turning into a "Labour of Love" Restoration...

Comment

Midnight

I didn't really look at the pictures at first, I just realized it was Sport Wheels and got the same old bad feeling I always do when I deal with the place. However, that midnight special looks super clean. Hard to believe the mileage, but you never know. I'd definetly take a close look before purchasing. After all polishing turds is there business.
                            1979 XS1100 SF
                            1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                            1981 KZ650CSR
                            2006 VTX 1300C
                            1986 Radian 600

Comment

You guys are paranoid. If that bike were anything but nice it would show signs of it. I can look at a deteriorated weathered pile of garbage and know if it will run or not. There is a huge difference between weathered and user wear and tear. If that bike were weathered, you would see oxidation, there is none. If it were used or ridden a lot, you would see signs of tooling, tinkering, maintenance, scrapes, scuffs, etc... I don't see anything messed up worth mentioning. The only thing I would want to know about that bike, is how they obtained it. Is it also a bike lot? Do they take trade ins? If you want to know how good or bad it is, look over the oil plug bolt, the side cover screws, carb screws, and other various nuts and bolts that would routinely be used for maintenance. That's how you know how used it is. Both my bikes were sitting for at least a decade, weathered, oxidized, and all I did was look at the bolts to know they would run. These motors are bullet proof. Besides, I've been seeing XS11's around the Seattle area for up to $2500, and those aren't midnights, and they get non stop rain and ocean spray. They're crazy of course cause I wouldn't pay half of that, but some people think they're worth it. Go down there and snatch that thing up.
                              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X