Restored Yamaha XJ1100J Maxim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restored Yamaha XJ1100J Maxim

Well, it's for sale after all the work. The economy dictates I sell it.
    Here's the narrative in my Craigslist ad. Hasn't gone to ebay yet.

Here's an opportunity to own one of Yamaha's legendary liter+ classic motocycles from the '80s muscle bike era.
    The XJ1100 Maxim was only imported to the US for one year and sold until 1985 in Europe and Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, etc.). Chances are you won't be seeing anyone else riding a bike that looks like yours, I haven't in the past four years. It always draws a crowd of admirerers wanting a closer look and trying to figure out what it is.

With it's monster 4 cylinder/4 carb, 1101cc, 95hp and 66lbs of torque engine you won't be smelling anyone else's exhaust or breathing their dust either.
    IT DOES 55MPH IN FIRST GEAR !!!! OK?
    This bike is a solid performer with a virtually indestructible engine. It feels good on the boulevard as well as on the wide open highway.
    Modern Cycle Magazine in it's Feb '80 issue called the XS11 a "King Kong in Tie and Tails"

The XJ1100J evolved from XS11 line, Yamaha's much lauded bruiser/cruiser. It was the fastest production bike of it's time.
    In the XJ, the engine remained basically the same. But the frame was strategically reinforced to make it more solid in the twisties, the seat was lowered, and the electronically controlled ignition was a further refinement. The forks are air adjustable as are the beefy rear shocks. It's also shaft driven, meaning no hassles with drive chain upkeep or replacement.

Yes, parts are readily available through ebay and several other outlets. Action Cycle Salvage in Jupiter has plenty of parts if you need them. I haven't needed any.

On this bike you'll look good boulevard cruising as well as long distance riding. Doing it all in style and comfort.

Features:
    1101cc engine
    Transistor controlled ignition
    Triple disk brake stopping power
    High capacity (5 gallon) tear drop shaped fuel tank
    Fully adjustable handlebars
    Fully adjustable suspension
    30.1" seat height

What I did to it:
    Stripped it completely apart, sandblasted it, then painted the engine with very high temp ceramic paint, and the frame and remainig parts with epoxy paint. (I have pictures)
    Engine: Adjusted the valves and replaced the manual cam chain tensioner with a newer automatic one. Gave the engine better breathing with K&N pod filters and a RC Engineering 4X1 exhaust. Of course, all oils and filters were/are changed at proper intervals and are fresh now.
    Rebuilt/Replaced:
    Brakes: Rebuilt the two master cylinders and three calipers, and intalled new brake pads all around. Brake fluid in system is new.
    Suspension: Disassembled forks and shocks, inspected them, cleaned them, and assembled them with new seals and oil in all. Newer triple tree and stem bearings out front.
    Electrical: Replaced the old glass tube fuse box with a modern blade type fuse box. Installed super bright Sylvania halogen bulb in headlamp. Before re-installing the electrical harness, I cleaned every connector removing any trace of deposits and corrosion.
    Fuel System: Cleaned out tank and rebuilt petcocks. Rebuilt and synchronized the carburators. Installed new vacuum lines and fuel lines. Installed inline fuel filters to keep carbs clean and trouble-free.

I also have a 1980 XS11G that I rebuilt a while ago and intended to keep this XJ for bar hopping/boulevard cruising. Unfortunately, I don't use it as much as I would want due to time constraints and other commitments and interests.
    What I'm saying is that I rebuilt this bike for me to keep and ride for the next 30 years. No corner was cut, no detail was overlooked.
    And you'll be getting a trouble-free motorcycle you can ride for years to come.

Offering it for $ 4499.00 obo

Reply throught email via this ad, or call me, or text me, Robert at 561-312-8305

Thanks
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

I'm open to reasonable offers.....

Bump, bump...
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
    X