Contemplating sale of my 78e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating sale of my 78e

So, we recently moved from Norman OK to Ada OK and have no easy way to transport my presently non-running 78e without incurring some expense or using valuable time that I should be spending studying for the bar exam later this month. So, I'm seeing if anyone wanted to make an offer on it. Here's the details:

You can see pics on some of my previous posts here and here. The bike is substantially unchanged from the 2nd link (it no longer has that ugly, non stock fender from the first link).

Not visible in the pictures, but included would be:
    • Matching saddlebags & mounting hardware (one latch missing on the left one, currently secured with a bungee)
    • spare headlight & bucket
    • spare front MC assembly
    • spare starter
    • 3 SS caliper pistons custom made by some XSive in Germany
    • spare oil filter cap, 2 spare bolts & oil filter
    • other odds and ends

Here's the story. A while back I slowly lost spark in each of the cylinders. After sat for a while, determined that coils were bad and got some spare coils (one from a 80 or 81, not sure where the other one was from) that provided spark to assist in diagnosing the problem. Cleaned out and rebuilt the carbs and it is still not wanting to start, though it coughs and sputters occasionally. The oil filter cap bolt is also frozen. If I got it running I was going to grind it off and replace it with the spare.

Other than the above, this is what I've done to it beyond regular maintenance since I bought it in Feb. '10:
    • Replaced steering stem bearings
    • New Shinko tires
    • resoldered electrical connections in the turn signal box
    • changed fork seals & oil
    • rebuilt petcocks
    • rebuilt both MCs and rear caliper
    • replaced break pads

I have no idea what the bike might be worth to you, but if you care to make an offer, I may be willing to part with it rather than move it down here. It has about 26,000 miles on it. You would need to arrange for transportation from Norman, OK.
    1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
    2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

You didn't move that far away. Maybe there's some XS members that live in OK that can offer up some assistance in helping you move it.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Now it's got to go

Well, I found a home for the bike in Norman for a little bit, but that home is disappearing Friday and I have to move the bike.

Based on timing, and the amount of time I have right now in life, I've decided to get rid of it. If anyone wants to make an offer on it, PM me; otherwise, It will be off to the local salvage shop (they range anywhere from $50 - $150 per bike).

For any person that buys it (as opposed to the salvage shop) I'll throw in all the spare parts. If I send it to the shop, I'll sell the other spare parts I have separately.

Comment

CL post

Craigslist post

Comment

You should have the cash by now Dale.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That is your first standard isn't it Greg?
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X