Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80...err...81 MNS

Looky..

Pretty nice condition MNS, have to wonder if it is a member's bike. The Auto CCT upgrade, discussion of 2nd gear issue, makes me wonder at least.

Listed as an LG, 80 model, and the VIN would match that. Front brakes indicate an 81, IIRC, the 81 got the XJ front brakes, the 80 had the same brakes as the other Special models.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    Front brakes indicate an 81, IIRC, the 81 got the XJ front brakes, the 80 had the same brakes as the other Special models.
    This bike is an 80, it has the swively front calipers and the normal type caliper on the rear. The 81 would have swirley wheels you know.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

My mistake Phil, thought I saw a bolt under the right side caliper, zoomed it up and saw it is the slide pin the pads ride on.

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

The owner did a nice job polishing up the aluminum grab bar. I'd be curious about that. Plus, he says he bought it for $3000 and improved it. I like to hear about high values for our babies.
        Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
        mods to come

Comment

JJ, he has to get that price first. It is a pretty nice ride for sure, but typicall for one to sell at that price, they would not have the scuff marks and such that show it was laid down or dropped at some point.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Elbow Grease

Looks to be lacking in elbow grease 'specially the engine, but with the super low miles and a couple of days of extensive detailing, that bike would look like it's worth $3K for sure...IMHO
            Current Rides:
            02 GL1800 Wing
            79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
            81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

My Ebay Listing

This is my listing on ebay. I bought the bike about a year ago from nickdude911 for $3000.00, another member here. As for the grab bar, that's the way I got it from nickdude911. I've put about 3000 miles on the bike since getting it from Nick. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
              Mike Hamren
              ---------------
              1980 XS1100LG
              2002 XV1700PC

Comment

Personally I think the bike looks pretty darned good. I have my own opinions about used bikes, and but just bcause it doesn't look like it came from a concours auction tells me it's actually been ridden and I'd rather have one that had been ridden than one that spent the last five years in the garage or a shed. It's got less than a third the miles that mine has and if $2000 will take it, I'll be watching how it goes. I'd put that much on it.
                Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
                  Personally I think the bike looks pretty darned good. I have my own opinions about used bikes, and but just bcause it doesn't look like it came from a concours auction tells me it's actually been ridden and I'd rather have one that had been ridden than one that spent the last five years in the garage or a shed. It's got less than a third the miles that mine has and if $2000 will take it, I'll be watching how it goes. I'd put that much on it.
                  I spend my time riding and maintaining it mechanically rather than polishing it. Good luck on the auction!
                  Mike Hamren
                  ---------------
                  1980 XS1100LG
                  2002 XV1700PC

Comment

Differant Strokes

The only point I was trying to make was, that IF one were to post a bike for sale, a little time and effort will go a long way in making a sale or you might be sitting on a bike a little longer than planned. BTW, every bike I've ever sold (approx) 50 was sold to the 1st guy who looked at it. I am NOT trying to say that bikes should look like showroom condition at all times. IF you have a bike FOR SALE, anything you can do to improve the way it is presented will have better results that just throwing it out there and hoping for the best.
                    I would be happy to own that bike and like I said, after a couple of days, it would definetely look like it's worth $3K...YOMV but that's mine...
                    Current Rides:
                    02 GL1800 Wing
                    79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                    81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Working...
                    X