Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 Special in Az

Hi folks,

New member trying to sell the bike I just bought, a 1981 Midnight Special (verified the #s from one of the vin threads I found here).

The bike: 40xxx mileage, clean titled, not running. Obvious needs: tires, battery, rubber booties for the carbs. The exhaust and all components are painted black- too ignorant to determine whether it is the factory "black chrome" or a previous owner's 'cool custom.'

The story: I bought this bike (and found a free 750cc XS) for a father-son project with my dad 4-5 weeks ago. I knew nothing about bikes but I wanted to crack one open, blow it up and put humpty dumpty back. So I did that.

Got it home, cleaned off all the grime (used sooo much tire foam). Then I opened up the repair manual and started pulling little pieces off- tach, handle bars, cables, exhaust, intake, carbs. Slowly working my way to remove the engine and look inside.

Then a few weeks ago I had a massive, feet-out-from-under-me fall and re-injured a recently repaired ligament in my shoulder. Bottom line, no wrenching for me for a while.

I've gotten lots of good info reading here and I'm hoping to sell it back to an enthusiast who will bring it back. I posted on CL for more, but I paid $250 and would like to get that back.

If you're interested pm me for contact info or just post questions. Thanks for reading guys and thanks for all the good deets in the forum.
    MayanTiger
    81 MNS learning as I go

Might take it if the title is clear. Have a friend in Peoria who can probably pick it up and hang onto it till I can get down there.
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Title is clean and clear. PM for the VIN number if you would like to verify externally. Thanks for your interest. My parents live near Peoria so I may be able to deliver to your friend.
      MayanTiger
      81 MNS learning as I go

Comment

how far did you get with humpty?

quote, I knew nothing about bikes but I wanted to crack one open, blow it up and put humpty dumpty back. So I did that.

hmm, wonder how far you got with humpty, sounds like a basket case, there are some that would take it at the right price, including me. I wouldnt mind a parts bike, too bad youre in the wrong part of the country.
        Bikes Now.
        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Had it for 2 weeks before I injured my arm, so I didn't get very far.

I wish I was in Mich too. Spent last summer working in Ann Arbor and had a blast. It's something else being walking distance from a river and 2 lakes. Can't imagine how much fun 10yrold me would have had growing up there.
          MayanTiger
          81 MNS learning as I go

Comment

Working...
          X