79 in chicago $300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 in chicago $300

Was google goofing around and found this obscure add. If someone checks it out please report back.

http://www.lookingformotorbikes.com/...r-hole-s-side/
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

This is it, I bought it last weekend. In decent shape, some unfortunate attempts at rattle can paint job possibly while under the influence of a controlled substance. Doesn't have any spark at the moment, but haven't had a chance to really look into it yet. Although, I suspect it might have something to do with all the leads from the fuse block being taped into a big ball. Christened it "Heisenberg" an inside joke from the TV show "Breaking Bad", having to do with the current color of the bike, and the aforementioned controlled substance.

Last edited by patk12345; 11-17-2011, 04:52 PM.
    Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
    (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Way to go

Thanks for the pics, looks like a keeper. Do the frame and engine numbers match? That standard seat stands out and maybe the tail light . Just put the TC fuse box on my SF today , looks like you will be too. Good luck I'd ohm the p/u wires cause they never fail to fail on the early ones.
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

I have high hopes for it, going to go with a more cafe racer/ street fighter look. I have a viper fairing I'm planning on putting on it. I already had one of TC's fuse blocks for my '80, so I'll probably throw that one on the 79 and order another one. I haven't verified frame and engine numbers yet, you'll recall the rattle can paint job I mentioned. It covered over the VIN tag, so I'll maybe need to break out some acetone. I'll definitely check out the wire you mentioned. I'm giving the whole thing a little time to simmer. I bought that one as well as an 81 standard also for $300, in a matter of two days, so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I just couldn't pass them up at that price. There's a 3rd one for $250 that I'm also looking at.
        Pat K

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Frame is stamped on the steering neck.
          79SF
          XJ11
          78E

Comment

Oh, I know that. I don't think you realize just how much paint we're talking about.
            Pat K

Comment

Nice find Pat...sure that will clean up real nice...at that price who could resist?
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
              X