Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 MNS in alleged MINT Like New Condition: Detroit, Michigan

Hey Folks,

Just posting this for fellow that contacted the site but didn't want to JOIN. Here's his email contents!
    I've got a XS1100 Midnight Spec. (LG). I would like to list it where it will be appreciated. I've restored 20+ bikes. This one needed nothing, except 2nd gear fix.

Follow this link to Craigslist: http://porthuron.craigslist.org/mcy/2335614382.html

The price is premium. So is the machine. You just don't see them like this.I can't seem to get application to get membership to your group. I don't really want to join,since I usually use these sites for restoration tips. Only the 2nd gear thing. Can you help me get this listed at your site? Here is the verbiage from the ad if you can't see it;

1980 XS1100 Midnight Special Excellent Condition. > 4,250 original miles.That is not a typo. This is not a restored motorcycle. Runs and rides just like back from a dealer check up in 1981. New battery 1 month -Valve shims set 3 miles - Carbs sync 3 miles - (Dlr service) Tires like new. Second gear issue repaired. Starts and runs excellent. Pulls HARD!!! like the king of it's day! There is no rust in the tank. The gold chrome and trim is in nice shape. Gauges, seat, plastic, cables, hoses, wiring excellent condition. All lights, controls, gauges, signals, work correctly. No signs of ever being ridden in the rain (only black rubber in the fenders). No oil, hydraulic, or fuel leaks. There are new looking engine guards. The mirrors seem like aftermarket of the day. The engine cases were scuffed (like a 3mph drop). The cases have been repaired and repainted.- the gold paint work was not done. The wrinkle black paint on the cooling fins and head is flaked around the edges. There are about 4 small paint nicks in the fenders. The black chrome pipes have a burnt boot mark. Other than some minor pitting, they are in great shape. This bike has not sat around. I have ridden it 2x every year for the past 10 since I've owned it. But only like 10 miles each time (I have another rider). Just to keep it fresh. COLLECTORS!!! You will not find a NICER CLEANER XS1100 Midnight Special outside of a big $ collection. This one is not perfect but it is REMARKABLY NICE. RIDERS!!! You can jump on this and cruise on a BEAUTIFUL vintage bike today. The V-TWIN crowd will be gawking over this SWEET RIDE. Serious inquiries only. Test rides only if you leave cash here. Clean title. (810) 984-8518

His email is: blu.h2o.tom(at)gmail.com
    Again, do NOT contact ME about this, see contact info above!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

amongst other things that he states about the bike,
    ive never heard of an xs with only just
    over 4000 miles that needed a 2nd gear fix.

nice looking bike tho.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

fix

You read my mind Pete.
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

My '80 Midnight has straight spoke wheels. Looks to me like this one must be an '81...
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Nice scoot......but not that nice, not even close for that price! Have had them start doing the gear skip at 20,000mi...........but 4K and needing fixed?........already told on himself.......something definitely not correct.........either story or speedo..........maybe a little of both.......
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The wheels say 81, the engine says 80 as it does not have the circle around the timing cover. Also, the engine covers had the Yamaha in gold/yellow paint on the MNS, he says they were repainted, but I do not see the groove either.

Overall I would be very skeptical and want to see the VIN and alot mroe detailed pics to be sure it even is a MNS, and not a decent special that someone has painted up or the like. Definitely not worth the proce he is asking compared to what we have seen sell for less.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              The wheels say 81, the engine says 80 as it does not have the circle around the timing cover. Also, the engine covers had the Yamaha in gold/yellow paint on the MNS, he says they were repainted, but I do not see the groove either.
              I have two LHs. one has the circle, one does not. Seems like they might have changed mid year.
              Looks like an 81 but like you would like to see the vin.

Side note 82 degrees here today. Damn these look nice with a wash and some sun on them
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

Overall I would be very skeptical and want to see the VIN and alot mroe detailed pics to be sure it even is a MNS, and not a decent special that someone has painted up or the like. Definitely not worth the proce he is asking compared to what we have seen sell for less.
                The wheels say 81, the model type says 81 (LG) and while no circle on the left engine cover, it doesn't show the alternator cover which might have it, as if it went down that cover might have been replaced. However, having the second gear fix done says it's got more miles than it says, or it was badly abused to need the fix that quickly. Maybe the speedometer went bad and was replaced and it's got more like 26k or something like that, which would be more likely to have needed the second gear fix?
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  The wheels say 81, the model type says 81 (LG) ......
                  Cy...LG = 1980 model, LH would be 81.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Cy...LG = 1980 model, LH would be 81.
                    You're right. Don't know where my head is there.

It's those swirley wheels that are throwing me off there and making true identification hard.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                    X