Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running project XS11SF with XS11G Venturer parts bike

Well, here we go.

I bought Bibleman's 80 Special last weekend, and wow . . . what an incredibly maintained vehicle. Bibleman, thank you for this gift. May God continue to encourage your spirit with all mercy and grace in Christ's name.

Now it's time to sell all the rest of my stuff. Here's what I've got:

Running project 79 special with 80G engine. (80K miles-body, 11K miles-engine)
    80G Venturer parts bike -- complete

It's a project bike because first gear is shot. First gear don't work, period. However, second and above are good so that keeps it running! Transmission was professionally rebuilt 9 months ago. (Tommy and Bill Scoggins, Scooter World, L'Ville, GA) Something went wonky in first 6 months ago (stuff happens), and I didn't have the $$ or "want-to" to fix. Somewhere I have a box of complete tranny parts from andreashweiss. Seat needs recovering. Note the emblems are gone. Tank in great shape. I botched up an engine paint job from a can in that the paint didn't stick.

80G engine has approx 11,000 miles on it. As seen on photobucket, miles on 80G is around 6K. Engine was put in special 5K miles ago. Forgot to take pix of 79 odometer. Will do if it's important to you.

Parts bike is complete and includes cleaned carbs. As it was a Venturer (Ventura? I can't remember how that went . . . ) note the oil cooler. I have the 79SF engine, split. See photos. Blew a rod, or something, 18 months ago. If important to you, the engine serial matches the frame.

Selling because I got my dream ride now, and need to clean out the garage.

$1,400

Here's the photobucket link:

http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Regards,
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Looking at the alternator cover on that engine in the special that's either not the original alternator or that's an 81 engine not an 80, the 80's didn't have the ring around the Yamaha there and the venturer was only in 81.

Also, the standard didn't have the slotted brake disks in 80, that was an 81 item unless they were replaced.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Almost sure both those scoots are 81's. The part bike IS or WAS an 81 Venturer....and that was the ONLY year it was designated a Venturer. The other looks to be an 81Special by the slotted rotors, both the ignition cover/alt covers, rear footpeg/frame gusset says it IS and 81. Check frame and engine numbers. If 4RO prefix, then they are 81's, just manufactured in 80 as the frame tag will indicate mfg. date month and year.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks to both gentlemen for the XS education. I'm sure you're correct about the parts bike being an 81. I never looked that hard into it. Regarding the special, I ran the VIN and it's a 79. The front wheel on it now is from the parts bike . . .

regards,
        Mike Farrington
        Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

Originally posted by mfarrington View Post
          Thanks to both gentlemen for the XS education. I'm sure you're correct about the parts bike being an 81. I never looked that hard into it. Regarding the special, I ran the VIN and it's a 79. The front wheel on it now is from the parts bike . . .

regards,
          I thought that was probably the case, as I saw that one of the set of wheels off the bike didn't have the slots, so I figured you had the parts bike wheel on the special.

I recognized the 81 engine cause I have one in my 80G, that I bought from a junkyard as an 80 engine, but it has the circle AND came with the factory oil cooler that I'm going to be sending off to Nate.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

*** big price drop ***

$900 . . . I need to move this old friend down the road . . . .

Regards,
            Mike Farrington
            Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

hard bags and cages..

i would like to have your hard bags and all that protects them if they will fit and 81 special and you want to sell them seperate
              windjammer gump
              bikes now own
              1981xs1100sh special
              1971 cb 350
              mini chopper project
              bikes use to own
              1978 750/four..
              1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

re: hard bags

Gump, thanks for your inquiry. I'd rather not break up the offer. If I do decide later to part out the bikes I'll get back with you.

Regards,
                Mike Farrington
                Suwanee, GA USA

Comment

Hard Bags

Originally posted by windjammergump View Post
                  i would like to have your hard bags and all that protects them if they will fit and 81 special and you want to sell them seperate
                  http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31672

Check this thread out.
                  I'm not sure of the differences from the Specials to the Standards on fittment, but he will sell separate items. HTH
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31672

Check this thread out.
                    I'm not sure of the differences from the Specials to the Standards on fittment, but he will sell separate items. HTH
                    The only difference is the front lower attachment point for the 'crash bar'. The footpeg mounts (which is where this connects) are higher on the special compared to a standard, but if you're willing to fab a small 'extension' tab can be made to fit. The one obstacle to this is if you're stilling using OEM Special exhaust, you may have a clearance issue. Not a problem with most aftermarket pipes.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                    X