'82 XJ1100 Maxim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 XJ1100 Maxim

Well it is time to let this bike go. I have had it since 1984 and it came with 5 thousand kilometers on it. It now has just under 70 thousand kilometers. Which translates to about 44 thousand miles. The engine has never been taken down. The only part that has been removed is the valve cover to check shims. You can look at my photos to see that it looks better than it did when it came off the showroom floor. All the cases, shocks etc. have been hand polished by me for 26 years. I have all the parts that I took off to put the fairing on, headlight and stuff. The tires are brand new and only have about a thousand miles on them. The battery is only a couple of years old. Brakes are good. I have used silicone brake fluid in the bike since I got it therefore no pitting in the master cylinders. I did put new clutch springs in a few years back and the clutch is still great. I do have a spare set of carbs that I have used parts from that will go with the bike. I also have the luggage rack that they sold for the bike but never used it. I also have new head and base gaskets for it. And valve stem oil seals which I purchased if I ever had to take it apart. Also a new set of plugs it go with it too. I have accumulated a fare bit of stuff for the bike over the years which will go with it also.

Now here is the rub. Last year while riding down the highway and exiting to come home. I was slowing and reved it to down shift and the valves in number one cylinder started to float and a loss of power followed. So that means the head has to come off for the first time in it's history. I could do it but you know what I have had a great run with this machine and think it's time to move on. I am 60 now and figure if there is a real enthusiast out there looking for that special bike this may just be the one for you. It still runs great you can take it up through the gears and there is lots of power. It is just when you cruise at a sustained speed then try to go faster or slower the valves float. Compression is really good in all cylinders.

So there it is. I have no idea how much I want for it. I was even thinking of donating it to the local bike museum. They told me I might be surprised what I could get for it.

If you guys have any questions post them and I will try to answer them for you. But I thought that the XJ guys here should have first crack this bike. Thanks for reading this.
    '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
    '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
    '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
    '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
    '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
    Sold the Harley and kept the XJ
    '82 XJ Guy

pics???

We all love to see the pics of bikes for sale, asap please, then the xs crew can figure out who gets to buy it..........................MIke in Cantafordya
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Here are some pics. I thought the photo section was working, which has quite a few pics too. But I tried that last night and it does not appear to be working, so here are 5 pics. I can post more if there are specific areas of the bike you guys want to see.

'65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
      '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
      '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
      '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
      '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
      '82 XJ Guy

Comment

Wow!!

Wow Vanman,
        Your bike looks really nice, you've taken good care of it. Hope my XJ turns out as nice as yours. You shouldn't have any trouble selling it.
        Good luck.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

OMG, that's a sweet looking bike, even if it is an XJ.

Let me know when you want to get rid of the exhaust system!
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
            Let me know when you want to get rid of the exhaust system!
            Ken, you know he want's to get rid of the exhaust system, but it comes with an attached motorcycle!
            Dan

That is a nice Bike!
            Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
            Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
            while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Wowww....after seeing those pictures, I had to go back and re-read the description. I would have swore you ment 4 miles on the bike, not 44,000!!! That is by far the most pristine looking bike I have ever seen with those kind of miles and this age on it!!!

VERY nice!!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Wowww....after seeing those pictures, I had to go back and re-read the description. I would have swore you meant 4 miles on the bike, not 44,000!!! That is by far the most pristine looking bike I have ever seen with those kind of miles and this age on it!!!

VERY nice!!
                Thanks! Just to let people know the exhaust system has only been on for the past 5 to 10k. The original mufflers sort of rusted out on the inside. But I bought the new mufflers 20 or more years ago knowing it would happen sooner or later. So the new mufflers have only been on for the last 2 seasons. the headers are in great shape and no rust at all. I only rode the bike if the whole system was going to get hot enough to burn off any moisture created from a cold start. It's those 5 min trips to the store that rusts out exhaust systems. Maybe I should part the bike out! But that would be sacrilege wouldn't it. I really hope someone here is interested.
                '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
                '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
                '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
                '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
                '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
                '82 XJ Guy

Comment

sorry but I did not get any pix. WTF. Please let me know where they are.
                  Dell82
                  Dell82
                  Houston, TX
                  82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                  SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                  SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                  SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by DELL82 View Post
                    sorry but I did not get any pix. WTF. Please let me know where they are.
                    Dell82
                    Post number 3 has the pics. And if the photos of members bikes area here on the website is working there are more pics there that I posted last year. I just checked the members photo area again and it's still down.
                    Last edited by Vanman; 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM.
                    '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
                    '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
                    '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
                    '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
                    '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
                    '82 XJ Guy

Comment

Thanks vanman I got them, Looks great. Good luck on selling the bike. I would like to know the sale price when finished. Unfortunately I cannot bid on it. My bike is also polished, no faring, painted candy apple red and silver painted headers and mufflers.
                      Dell82
                      Dell82
                      Houston, TX
                      82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
                      SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
                      SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
                      SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Comment

Well there is a good subject!! What do people here think the bike is worth? There should be the best appraisers right here on this forum. Any input would be appreciated. I am just looking for a fair price.
                        '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
                        '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
                        '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
                        '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
                        '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
                        '82 XJ Guy

Comment

xj price

I would try Ebay for the best price for the bike. Being an XJ 1100 maxim owner also I realize that they are a special type of bike. I guess that for that mileage and condition, $1500-2600 would be a good sale on Ebay, maybe more. If you put a reserve on the sale price that would save you from a lowballer. I would jump on it if I didnt have a bunch of xs and xj's already. ANyway, put it on Ebay for good exposure unless your area is a good selling motorcycle one. Good luck,,,,,DO NOT PART OUT<,,its too nice and besides, you would have good Karma giving it to a loving home, like mine for free, so it gets great loving care and riding......MIke in Sun Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                          X