xj1100 midnight special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj1100 midnight special

I have a '81 xj1100 midnight special in mint condition Id like to sell, this bike is in all original condition with only 1000 miles on it.I would like to find a good home for it, possibly a collector or some one who will appreciate it. I know they only made 500 of these each year but what is a bike like this worth? Should I put it on ebay or craig's list? can I post pics of it here on this forum?
    thanks
    Kevin

First, I believe you have an XS1100 Midnight special, and not an XJ. Although it has often been rumored that there was an XJ1100 Midnight Special.

Second, I am not positive, but I really believe they made alot more than 500 of the MNS each year, they are however much rarer than the other models.

One just sold on ebay that was in the condition yours is stated to be in for about $4k to one of our overseas members. (Look for the thread titled "New Midnight Special".) But then, the NADA value would be about $2100. It is actually hard to find anyone that will pay that kind of money for them typically though. Love to see pics of the bike, and you can post pics here, but you have to upload them to a picture sharing site like Photobucket and post a link to them here.

Now if you truly have an XJ1100 Midnight Special...well.....How much is a Unicorn worth??
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Well, since they made the XJ only in '82 in the US (to '84 in Canada and Mexico) it is doubtful that your Midnight is an XJ. Check and post the first 3 letters/numbers of the VIN, or look up the year from the VIN on the FAQ pages from this site. Hint: The XJ had an LED instrument pod between the speedo and the tach. If it is an XJ the VIN number will start with 10M.

You can post photos here. We would like to see this bike. I assume you have a clear title?

Bike's woth is very subjective. Most of the owners on this list are bargain hunters, and many stories abound about finding cheap, even free, bikes. A very clean Midnight is worth from $1,500 to $2,500. A "mint" Midnight may be worth more, but understand...even to be rideable a "mint" bike may need new tires, battery, brake fluids / hoses changed or replaced, brake MCs rebuilt, pads changed, and other maintenance, such as carb cleaning. Its 28+ years old. An additional $500 - $700 to go through it and bring it up to reliable condition - fuse boxes are notoriously bad and are commonly replaced - is not unusuall.

If you are in a large market (more riders) then the price wil be higher. More rural, adding the cost of transporting the bike home, your will get less.

Maybe owners of other Midnights can chime in with what they paid for their bikes, and how they came to own them. However, my guess is that $1,500 - $2,000 is what you can reasonably expect to get on the open market. ICBW.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Ok great thanks guys i will get some pics uploaded and get the VIN# we bought it new and only road it a few times I have a new battery in it, new break fluid tires are excellent and i just cleaned the carbs so it ready to go....

Comment

Its an XS1100LH I found the owners manual and service manual there is also a faring that go with it from Yamaha. Its every bit as clean as the one sold a while a go on ebay but a lot less miles on it..
          thanks

Comment

where are you??

no location in profile...
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Im in s.w. Kansas

Comment

How much are you asking? Also, you can post pics through photobucket. If you decide not to sell it, let me know, I am in Hutchinson, and wouldn't mind getting together and telling lies. I used to live in Liberal, and have relatives in Scott City, so I know where Garden City is.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

pics

Last edited by gpracerx; 06-15-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Wow! That's nicer than that MNS I saw at the Bob Jones rally a couple weekends ago! And it has the gold circles on the side covers!
                    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

wow . .. that's a splendid machine . . .

makes me cry, she's so pretty . . .
                      Mike Farrington
                      Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
                      Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Comment

Verrrrrrry nice! Should bring top dollar if / when you sell. Alas, however, another rumor of an XJ 1100 Midnight goes down in flames...
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Wowww...that is definitely the best preserved 81 MNS I have ever laid on upon in life or print. I swear the ones in the advertisements did not look as clean. Even the red in the speedo and tach looks showroom which is typically faded no matter how low the miles.

The circles in the side covers was an 81 model year introduction on the specials I know, I believe the standards also. The 81 MNS was the only XS to have the swirly wheels.

If you look at the ebay auction, there were more than a couple other bidders in that selling price range. In fact it looks like Terge sniped it at the last few seconds with his one and only bid.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys I was 12 when my dad got it I thought it was the most beautiful bike i'd ever seen. I love the black and gold! Most of my race cars have had the Black and gold theme since then. This bike always provided the inspiration.
                            My dad road it a few times but never got into street bikes much, I cruised main st on it a few time when I got old enough but that was it. The bike never sat outside for more than a few hours the rest of the time it was in our garage or our shop. I'm not much for museum bikes I believe bikes should be ridden but it's too pretty for me to ride lol thats why it need a good home.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X