1983 xj1100j restored for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 xj1100j restored for sale

Has any one got any coments on the price.
    3000. it is completley restored
    perfect running motor
    0.00%
    redone from the bottom up
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

Movin On Down The Line.
    Where Ever You Go.
    There You Are.
    '82'xj1100j Maxim

Sandy,

I would not try to guess what it is worth really. For me anyway, I enjoy working on them so I like getting them cheap when they need some "TLC". Just my thought, HTH
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

It's a little on the high side, but that's only because I've seen so many of them available for cheaper. Of course, they usually require a bit of work to get them running. To the right buyer, that price might be just fine. Unfortunately, this time of year is not exactly a seller's market for bikes.

I bought mine for $500usd a year ago, and have put under $500 more into it since then, including about $275 for the touring package pieces. So, to me, a nice XS for $1000 is about all I'd be willing to spend (IF I had that much to spend).
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Experience talking

Depending on the interpretation of completely restored, a complete ground up restoration, $3000.00 would be a good deal. If you don't count your 1,000 hrs. of labour (and you are capable of doing everything yourself) $5,000.00 investment in parts, paint, chrome, powder coating etc. is realistic.
        $3000.00 for a shiny dependable classic bike that will get lots of attention is more than reasonable. You couldn't build one for that.
        Unless you want to do all the work yourself and have extra money to spend on it, you would be further ahead to buy a bike that's already done.
        Rick
        I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Hi Sandy,
          I agree with all the points already made. If you can afford to wait for the person who wants a restored 30 year old bike great. However most of the market place will be willing to spend 12-1500 for a running bike in the spring.
          IMO
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

1983 xj1100j restored

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
            Depending on the interpretation of completely restored, a complete ground up restoration, $3000.00 would be a good deal. If you don't count your 1,000 hrs. of labour (and you are capable of doing everything yourself) $5,000.00 investment in parts, paint, chrome, powder coating etc. is realistic.
            $3000.00 for a shiny dependable classic bike that will get lots of attention is more than reasonable. You couldn't build one for that.
            Unless you want to do all the work yourself and have extra money to spend on it, you would be further ahead to buy a bike that's already done.
            Rick
            I could not begin to count the hours that myself or others have put into this baby.
            To top it off I would never recover the money,but that was never the issue I wanted to get the classic going.
            The pistons have new rings(what a job that was)the buttons were machined to the mm.
            custom seat cover(there were bees inside)
            I guess I could go on and on but what the heck you guys know what it's like when all is said and done and you are movin on down the road on a real solid machine.
            I guess you guys are right(maybe)But we will wait and see.
            She is up for the winter.
            Phil I think she is worth more but who am I?only a avid xj rider lets see.
            Movin On Down The Line.
            Where Ever You Go.
            There You Are.
            '82'xj1100j Maxim

Comment

Sandy: If the right buyer comes along it will sell for the asking price. I had an 84XJ with 26 thou original kms. Had a h%ll of a time selling it. New paint, seat, tires, polished like a mirror, luggage rack, trunk, ran perfect. I started out at 3000 but settled for 2500. Not even close to what I had in it but................ Seems that no one wanted to pay that much for a 25 year old bike no matter what condition. Wait until spring and list it again. I am sure someone will come along if you have a little patience and can afford to sit on it. One thing to remember though is that bikes go for more money in Canada than in the US. I think it a case of supply and demand. Not as many of the classic bikes survived I guess. Only sticky point I can see is the 70k. MIGHT be a problem even with all you have done.

Comment

Hey, Sandy...

Last year I bought my '82 XJ1100J Maxim from a friend.
                He had done tons of resto work... new seat, all new paint, carb rebuild, new battery, 2 brand new Dunlop Elite 3's, new brakes & MC rebuilds, stainless lines... here's a pic...

But it still had 2 pretty big problems;
                1- Engine base gasket leaked like a sieve
                2- needed 2nd gear fix, (later we found the tranny was worse than just 2nd gear.)

It's a full Vetter dresser, with trunk.
                Mileage was 40,000 miles.
                I gave $1800.

Since then, I've probably put about $400 more in it, thanks to good friends here helpin' me out to keep repair costs down.

Biggest expenses have been:
                -1 new tranny gear, and a good used salvage trans for parts.
                -2 new replacement mufflers, and the welding...
                -Dynojet Kit in carbs, to improve rideability & MPG's... (now 40 up from 30.)
                -160 mph speedo... from ebay
                -replacement stator, (mine failed.)
                -pilot box, swapped for nicer one.
                -lowers... for fairing, and attachment hardware from Vetter
                - plugs, oil change, air filter.

Bike is now in near perfect condition, and runs like a top. Not bad for a $2200 investment.

I see you're listing it as an '83 model, so I assume it's a Canadian made XJ?

Your best bet this time of year if you need to sell it quick might be ebay. You can always set your minimum at what you need, and if it doesn't sell, wait 'til spring, try again. Most folks this time of year are looking to buy cheap, and have a winter "do-it-yourself" type project.

I will say... most XJ's in good shape usually go between $1500-$3000, depending on condition. A friend of mine sold his on ebay a few years back for $8200... but it was the uncontested king of XJ's, and he had somewhere around $13,000 invested... w/ many Dyno charts to document it's goods.
                One of a kind situation. His was also VERY low miles when he bought it... under 5000 miles. Bought new, rode for a short while, then stored for 22 years, under a bike cover, kept always inside. Rare situation.

Point is... these bikes are worth whatever a potential buyer is willing to give. But sometimes, ya gotta hang on, keep polishing and sprucing, until the right one comes along to get the price you need.

The good news... they're not making anymore of them, I've been told...
                and parts are only getting rarer... especially for XJ's.

I wish you most success, and hope that buyer comes your way soon.
                Regards,
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                X