Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS1100 near Cincinnati

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/979474885.html

Says it is a 79. Obviously got wrong tank, looks like drilled front calipers. Seems pricey for what is there to me.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

I think it's a "special", the front forks appear to be "special" so the tank may be correct. Axle is not directly at the bottom of the forks, I forgot to look at the headlight and gauges. I can understand the confusion, mine is an 'F' but looks more like an 'SF'; tank, headlight, gauges and rear wheel are off an 'SF'. I think some PO destroyed two bikes and made one out of the remaining pieces (now you know why I say mine looks as though it was set on fire and rolled down a hill ... other than the fact that it does actually look almost that bad) I've been on this forum for 3 1/2 years and I still miss some of the "key identifiers". have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hmmmm

Well Matt, I am far from any kind of expert for sure. I learn something every day on here, which why I keep coming here. Never knew the XS had a gas cap like that, square one set into the tank? Looks like STD gauges and signals, but special headlight. Looks like special bars and clamps. Primarily just dirty/dusty I guess, but I suppose it really comes down to if the gears been fixed yet, carbs recently rebuilt or not, Runs well or not.

As to your bike, if it runs well and rides nice, looks are easy to fix. Takes time and effort that may be better spent riding, but it can be done. If it looks great but you can't keep it running, it aint much of a bike then is it.

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

The Tank is exactly like my 78E. The guages and signal lights appear as best I can tell to be the same as my 78 as well. The square tank fill is a STD not a Special. I have been wrong before and will be again, just wait and see. Also the cowl on the back of the seat looks like a 78 STD to me.
        Last edited by Rasputin; 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM. Reason: additional info
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

DGXSER, I also do not claim to be an expert, I had to go back and look at it again, the headlight is round (SF) gauges are square (F) still think it looks like a SF tank, but it is difficult to make out due to the color of the tank and the darkness of the pic. Mine doesn't have a recessed cap. they are hard to make out but the forks look like an SF, could be a hybrid like mine, after a second and third look I have to say it could go either way. I hate second guessing myself. I think we should got the the (*&^(*%&^^$^#^ for taking such dark pictures and give him what for. have a nice day and ride safe . by the way, DGXSER, are you going to ride with us this season, I'm hoping to get to ride with the group at least a couple times this season, it would be great if you can get out with us, you know, that whole the more the merrier thing. I think we would love to have you along, could be a righteous time. Later, Matt
          I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Quick look with poor eyes..standard with Special side covers and some kinda round headlight..Specials have round signals,exhaust doesn't extend that far back and the front axel looks to be leading.Need new glasses,could be first mistake this year.
            '80 XS1100 SG
            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

I'd say your right on it Bill. I never knew the fill cap was different on the standard than the special. One of the many things I learned today on CH11. I could not tell you if the forks are leading or not from those pics. Can't makeout the front disc mounting either. I thought about the exhaust but it looks much thinner than mine so I figured aftermarket which could be any length. Still figuring out the seat issue between the Std and the special and when they moved the taillight up. The tank might be a Std, can not see the in sets that mark a Std to me with the color and lighting on the tank.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

what is CH11? I have seen it referred to a couple of times. TRook
                Texas Rookie - NW Houston
                79 xs11F (in process, down but not out)
                04 Ducati ST4s (current daily driver, recently retired from occasional track bike duty, too $cary to think about crashing)
                2001 Suzuki SV650 track bike (setting up for some adult fun next year)
                newest acquisition - Black on Black 78 XS11 with 81 motor waiting patiently in Cleveland Ohio (Insanity!!!...no thanks I've got plenty)

Comment

CH11 = Channell 11 = XS11 dot com = this website

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
                    Quick look with poor eyes..standard with Special side covers and some kinda round headlight..Specials have round signals,exhaust doesn't extend that far back and the front axel looks to be leading.Need new glasses,could be first mistake this year.
                    Hey BooBoo..I ment to say the front axel does not look to be a leading front axel.........dang maybe she was right...I was always wrong!!
                    Not a good pic..just a pic from '81
                    '80 XS1100 SG
                    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

right click

I you right click your mouse on one of the pics and save it, you can then view the pics and zoom in. If you look at the engine shot, it also shows the left petcock. That is a Standard petcock and tank. Look at the way the fuel line comes off towards the front instead of pointing downwards. My special and my standards have totally different fill caps. The one pictured is like my standards. I can hardly see the front fork bottoms as I make it zoom in but they appear to be on the bottom of the fork in the pic as opposed to the front style mount of the specials. I think there are quite a few parts on that bike that have been moved in from donor bikes.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Channell 11, isn't that a fragrance by Dolce and Gambini?

someone mentioned a shifter return spring. is this a stealer only item or is there a better place to get one? TRook
                        Texas Rookie - NW Houston
                        79 xs11F (in process, down but not out)
                        04 Ducati ST4s (current daily driver, recently retired from occasional track bike duty, too $cary to think about crashing)
                        2001 Suzuki SV650 track bike (setting up for some adult fun next year)
                        newest acquisition - Black on Black 78 XS11 with 81 motor waiting patiently in Cleveland Ohio (Insanity!!!...no thanks I've got plenty)

Comment

return spring

Hi Rookie. If you post that in the XS11/XJ11 Discussion section you will get far more feedback. I do not know about the return springs myself.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Working...
                          X