• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found on craigslist

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/672963418.html
    1982 XJ1100J

Schwin 26"...2 flat tires.

http://www.2carpros.com/affiliate/uid/servicewriter_1

New to the board!! just found it searching on info on the XS1100.

Also, new to the XS1100, I Just picked this 1100 up as listed on Craigslist (Above link) last night!

I Just got the license plate/insurance at lunch and going to get plugs, brake fluid, carb cleaner, etc...Needs a bit of TLC, but seems to run pretty good!! Original Owners manual, warranty card, tool kit, and a rear rest/rack (not shown).

Has the Kerker 4 into 1, a bit loud for my taste..but will find a stock or quieter muffler as needed.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Dave
    1978 XS1100E

Comment

congrats!!

03mach1,
      That's a sharp looking E. Congrats on the find, and welcome to the forum. Just about anything you need to know can be found here. The search bar is your friend.

Word of advice- the left hand side cover has a locking tab that you need to unlock with the ignition key. Don't just pull; you'll break off the tab. Then when you try to take it for a ride anyhow, it'll get blown off. DAMHIK...
      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Yup, got it! The owner showed it to me and I read it in the manual.

Thanks!!

Yes, I frequent these types of forums a lot ( and I run my own mustang one, hence my screen name). No problem, I know how to search. Already found info I was looking for.

Later.
        Dave
        1978 XS1100E

Comment

Nice looking 'E there, 03. About the only thing that comes to mind at first glance is the bent choke lever. This tells me you'll need to take apart and clean up that assembly when you strip the carbs down for their first of their 'triple clean".
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Will be going thru the whole bike, I will check and add that to the list.

Already found the brake problem, he said they stick.
            2 of 4 pads have separated on the front, the aluminum has corroded, so they can't slide easily, already have them torn down and cleaned, just need to get new pads.
            THanks
            Dave
            1978 XS1100E

Comment

The kerker CAN be quiet for a while. They are a "glass pack", and just need to pull the baffle and replace the packing. Mine has been getting louder over the past month, so it will be getting a "new coat" for summer.
              If you think you will be riding in the rain, check into drilling the front rotors. The life you save by being able to STOP may be your own!
              Welcome to the site, and NICE BIKE!
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

The previous owner said it blew a bunch of fiberglass out of the muffler, will take apart and replace or get a regular one.

Calipers removed, cleaned, stripped, repainted already, all bolts, slides cleaned.

All the header bolts are loose to remove the exhaust (to change oil) and paint up the pipe.

Just a lot of little stuff...but about a week or so, should be able to start riding, suppose to rain for next 3-4 days.
                Dave
                1978 XS1100E

Comment

03mach1,
                  Don't overlook cleaning the master cylinders while you have the brakes apart. If the brakes dragged, pay special attention the the fluid return holes. (search spooge hole) Welcome to the community!
                  Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                  1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                  23mm float height
                  120 main jets
                  42.5 pilot jets
                  drilled stock airbox with K&N
                  Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                  spade fusebox
                  1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Thanks, got it! I saw that reading thru the posts. (Doing a lot of reading lately). Found the link for the service manual, printed out some stuff already.

Removed Front Wheel, rotor centers are all cleaned, wheel is polished and black re-painted, looks brand new now.

Put the rack back on the back, need to paint up the headers/pipe & change oil. New plugs are in. Brake pads should be here Tuesday to put the front end back together.....

Slowly getting there!

Thanks all for the help and encouragement! Can't wait to get it on the road....
                    Dave
                    1978 XS1100E

Comment

Sounds great! Let's see some pictures!!

23mm float height
                      120 main jets
                      42.5 pilot jets
                      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                      spade fusebox
                      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Front Wheel after polishing and painting, alot of elbow grease and mothers mag wheel polish.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 03mach1; 05-19-2008, 04:29 PM.
                        Dave
                        1978 XS1100E

Comment

OOOOH, Purdy!

23mm float height
                          120 main jets
                          42.5 pilot jets
                          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                          spade fusebox
                          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Has the Kerker 4 into 1, a bit loud for my taste..but will find a stock or quieter muffler as needed.
                            I guess it's loud enough that a previous owner removed the horns!

23mm float height
                            120 main jets
                            42.5 pilot jets
                            Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                            spade fusebox
                            1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Brakes on front and rear, bled, WOW! much better! Everything seems to working properly. Nice and smooth.

The front rotor was hitting the left caliper, but searched on here and found how to center the rotor (Loosen the bottom 2 fork bolts and adjust accordingly).

First Test ride tonight! A bit boggy off the start, probably needs a good tune up and the idle set up a bit, wants to stall out when idling.

The Clutch is a little clunky, but seemed to get a bit better as it went thru the gears.

A gas drip behind the left petcock, hose? Haven't had a chance to pull off and look.

So far so good!

(There is a horn, under the frame behind the headlight)
                              Dave
                              1978 XS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X