Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '78 Special Parts Bike

So this bike was my big project.

My '79sf suffered a cracked/collapsed frame. I bought a '78E that had been used as a parts bike, and put all of my '79sf parts on to the '78 (forks, front wheel, triple trees, guages, lights, fenders, tank, seat, wiring harness, etc).

So now the bike is essentially a '78 Special. I runs and rides great.

The problem is, it only came to me with a bill of sale. The registration was 13 years old, so we didn't think it would be a problem to register it here in CA with just a bill of sale, as I have done with bikes in the past.

No such luck. They're being dicks. I can't get it registered here in CA without titling it first. I'm jobless and can't spend any more on the bike. I need to sell it. I'm heartbroken, but it's not the end. There will be another in my future. To everything there is a season. This is not my motorcycle season.

If you live out of state, you may be able to register it in your state with just a bill of sale. Or you can get a new title through a vehicle titling company. I just can't afford it now.

I'm looking to get $600 for the complete, rideable bike, extra carbs (just gone through), extra engine (bad clutch on this one), new fork springs (never installed), misc. extra parts.

Comes with a clymer manual, rear rack (not installed), another rear rack with trunk box (not installed), and a set of Yamaha hard bags/panniers and mounting rig, but the mounting rig is bent from an accident (not installed).
    78 XS1100E Special Clone

Dude, apply for 'lost title.' There is a waiting process involved, but I am pretty sure it can still be done especially since it has been 13 years. DMV has a phone number you can call. These folk are usually WAY more helpfull than the disgruntalled 'public servants' at the branch office. OR, take a nice long drive to the most rural office you can find. I have had MANY experiences with Cali DMV where one person says no and the next says yes. They have a lot of flexibility IF you talk to someone that actualy gives a crap.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The bike has been sold locally on Craigslist.
      78 XS1100E Special Clone

Comment

Working...
      X