Cylinder removal tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder removal tool

Does anyone have one of these or can make it? Seen it in the engine repair sub forum. https://xs11.club/forum/repairs/engi...tuck-cylinders
    thanks in advance!

Just following up. If no one has our can make the tool, does anyone have a good tip for removing the jugs without damaging the fins? I want to re-ring the pisons while I have the valve head off. Reason I took it down was to lap the valves because my compression was very low and thought I may have some frozen rings also. My readings are 1, 85 2, 80 3, 87 4, 80 with the carbs off. I have also concluded that maybe my compression tester is junk, but wanted to rule out the rings. Thanks in advance. Otherwise what I planned on doing was putting rebuild head back on and running the bike longer than 29 secs to see if the rings come around. Thoughts?

Comment

Here a guy trying to remove the XS11 cylinder. Quite frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gh7QEOQ0oQ

Comment

If you look where the front upper motor mounts are, there are tabs and a fulcrum point that a pry bar can be used to pop the jugs loose. Spray penetrating oil down and around the head studs and let it sit some before proceeding.

If the engine sat for a long period, chances are the rings are just stuck and in most cases will free up after some running,
        Last edited by bikerphil; 12-15-2023, 03:20 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

DEEBS11 yeah, I've seen that one.. Jason's wife gets in there too lol. bikerphil yeah I'm leaning that way too. I think I'll clean up the carbon on the piston heads and run it with a fan on it for a bit and then recheck it.

Comment

Yep, you may need to run it harder than just an idle to free them up. Maybe some penetrating oil around the pistons would help. The good news is if you have to take it apart again, you can re use the same head gasket.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Originally posted by Tematt View Post
              Just following up. If no one has our can make the tool, does anyone have a good tip for removing the jugs without damaging the fins? I want to re-ring the pisons while I have the valve head off. Reason I took it down was to lap the valves because my compression was very low and thought I may have some frozen rings also. My readings are 1, 85 2, 80 3, 87 4, 80 with the carbs off. I have also concluded that maybe my compression tester is junk, but wanted to rule out the rings. Thanks in advance. Otherwise what I planned on doing was putting rebuild head back on and running the bike longer than 29 secs to see if the rings come around. Thoughts?
              Did you realize you need to have the throttle wide open when you measure the compression? It makes a big difference!

Of course it's normal to test compression on a hot engine, and that is not practical for you. However, I get reasonable results when testing cold.
              -Mike
              _________
              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

Did you realize you need to have the throttle wide open when you measure the compression? It makes a big difference!

Of course it's normal to test compression on a hot engine, and that is not practical for you. However, I get reasonable results when testing cold.
                Mike, you must have missed the part where he said he tested with the carbs off.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Tematt View Post
                  DEEBS11 yeah, I've seen that one.. Jason's wife gets in there too lol. bikerphil yeah I'm leaning that way too. I think I'll clean up the carbon on the piston heads and run it with a fan on it for a bit and then recheck it.
                  You have it tore down that far so why not go ahead and replace the rings? They are available aftermarket. YAMAHA XS1100 STANDARD PISTON RINGS SET 4 RINGS INCLUDE | CRUZINIMAGE.NET
                  Look around that site. They also have oversize kits for less then 200 in the event you need to have your cylinders bored.
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

Those compression readings that you have are not unusual for a bike that has been sitting for years. I have had similar readings on several bikes. In most cases, the compression will come back to the normal range if you can get the bike running. But first, like bikerphil said, soak the cylinders/pistons and turn over the engine by hand before starting it up. I've found Rislone to be an excellent product for that. You may not need new rings unless you have very high mileage.
                    Last edited by Ranger_xs1100; 12-16-2023, 01:43 AM.
                    Bob's Bikes:
                    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
                    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
                    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
                    "
                    Project XS11"
                    "Rucksack Grunt"
                    "Small Unit Leadership"
                    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
                    For Sale Here.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Mike, you must have missed the part where he said he tested with the carbs off.
                      Yes, and it was so obvious!
                      -Mike
                      _________
                      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

If it were me, I'd be thinking like Cajun. Once the head is already off, I would be thinking I might as well brush hone and put in new rings. Kind of "while you're at it" since you're almost all the way there anyway.

@Kboeringer reported good a experieince with the CruzinImage rings.
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post

Yes, and it was so obvious!
                          Problem with posting late at night. He also already stated the reason he wants the tool to remove the cylinders is because he wants to re ring. Oh well, at least he has another source for parts.
                          Last edited by cajun31; 12-16-2023, 03:46 PM.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

Yea, im a night owl guys.. I would re-ring it if I could feel confident in taking the jugs off without breaking the fins lol.

Comment

I would bet you will be fine just putting it back together, no chance of screwing up something that is probably not broken. Worst case, you would just have to do it over. These engines go well over 100K with just regular oil changes.

For next time, just fill the cylinders with MMO and let it sit a week before firing her up. The rings will release quickly this way, but it will smoke for a bit.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X