Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping to find a Choke Lever

Hey there XS Brain Trust

I have not addressed this problem yet, but I think it is time to take action. My Choke Lever (Leftside of Carbs) is in very poor condition, it is badly rusted and has been bent over at a 90 degree angle, possibly more than once, I see indications of fatigue cracks developing and have not risked trying to straighten it. Before I rebuilt the carbs, the choke linkage was very sticky, prolly the cause of the bent lever. Since rebuild the lever functions fine.

As for condition of a replacement unit, I am cool with slight rust as long as it is not pitting. I will prolly end up painting the lever. My carbs are the early 78-79 units.
    Fingers Crossed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_Choke Lever.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	865445 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210617_Choke Lever Bent.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	865446
    80 SG
    81 Midnight Special (R.I.P.)

Two locations where enricher shaft goes through carbs housing there are detents on the shaft where a metal ball and spring are located. A drop of oil in each of those locations will resolve the bending of the control arm.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanx Motoman

Yes, When I rebuilt the carbs, a long time ago, I cleaned up all the areas where the shaft slides, and put light oil on them. even now the shaft moves just fine. The Lever is in really bad shape, it is very close to breaking off. There are obvious cracks developing in the bend, I am sure it will snap off if I try to bend it back. Then I will have two pieces to keep track of, till I can fix it. If there is no replacement available then I will prolly bend it back straight, if it doesn't snap in the process, and hit it with some gas-shielded high voltage, maybe even add a doubler to buttress the joint.

Peace, Wolf
      80 SG

Comment

I may have one or two left but in storage so might be some time before I get out there. In the meantime I’ve seen where folks epoxied a nail or other support to the backside. If it can take one more bend back to straight without breaking…
        Steve R

'80 SG
        "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
        1978 XS400E Red
        1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

I am interested if you have one. I can wait, it will be a few more months till I get all the parts back in one "collection". Besides it is already too hot here in Tejas, September or October will be good riding weather.

Peace, Wolf
          80 SG

Comment

Originally posted by XS-play View Post
            Hey there XS Brain Trust

I have not addressed this problem yet, but I think it is time to take action. My Choke Lever (Leftside of Carbs) is in very poor condition, it is badly rusted and has been bent over at a 90 degree angle, possibly more than once, I see indications of fatigue cracks developing and have not risked trying to straighten it. Before I rebuilt the carbs, the choke linkage was very sticky, prolly the cause of the bent lever. Since rebuild the lever functions fine.

As for condition of a replacement unit, I am cool with slight rust as long as it is not pitting. I will prolly end up painting the lever. My carbs are the early 78-79 units.
            Fingers Crossed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210617_Choke Lever.jpg Views:	32 Size:	146.6 KB ID:	865445 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210617_Choke Lever Bent.jpg Views:	30 Size:	143.5 KB ID:	865446
            That arm can be saved. Take it off then disassemble it. Find you a small piece of like metal.... I have been purchasing 650 carb choke arms off of Ebay primarily for the rubber choke arm end piece. However, the metal it is made out of is perfect for repair work on existing choke arms. If you don't weld take it to someone that does, preferably a friend and just tac the repair piece on the inside of the arm. When you resassemble, paint or powdercoat you won't be able to notice the repair and it is stronger then original. I have done several that way with great success. The metal is just thick enough to be able to weld it with a mig setup. I always sandblast the entire piece before starting.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Thanx Cajun31

Yes, that prolly will be my solutionto the problem, I do gas shielded high voltage work. LOL I am leaning more towards the better than original concept, as well.
              My LG that I had back in the 90s suffered from a weak lever as well, all the linkage was fine just the lever would flex, rather disconcerting. I would put my thumb down the inside of the lever, and use it to push from lower down inside the lever.
              80 SG

Comment

XS-Play---Finally got out there and went through all my bins of little parts, surprised and sorry to report I had a ton of things but not another lever. I must have given them all away.
                Steve R

'80 SG
                "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
                1978 XS400E Red
                1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

No worries.

Thanx
                  80 SG

Comment

Working...
                  X